Thread: Firewall Builder

Firewall Builder

I thought that some AOers may find this tool useful. I havent had time to play around with it myself, but it is certainly on my to-do list...

Firewall Builder is multi-platform firewall configuration and management tool. It consists of a GUI and set of policy compilers for various firewall platforms. Firewall Builder uses object-oriented approach, it helps administrator maintain a database of network objects and allows policy editing using simple drag-and-drop operations. Firewall Builder currently supports iptables, ipfilter, OpenBSD PF and Cisco PIX.
    http://www.fwbuilder.org/
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

apparently you can build your own firewall if you own a linux or a win2k adv server machine. all you gotta do is play around with the IP Tables and the Routing Tables.

I just found an very handy online firewall builder which works for freebsd and linux which gives you a config including excellent commments ,just pick your options then cut and paste ,voila http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/

the question is though, how secure are these firewalls?

They are as secure as you configure them to be(the site doesn't give you a firewall it just gives you rules for the one you already have ) , the site i posted above does the typing for you (saving a lot of time) I would suppose with the know how you might be able to add/change some rules yourself that improve it . I personally don't have the want (at the moment) to learn to hand configure ipfw and when i do i will use the preconfigured one as a template (because one should always work smart, not hard

I just wanted to bring this app back to the communities attention.
    (I do realize that it is an old thread.)

It didn't receive much feedback when it was first posted...

I normally just do my firewall config via CLI. I'm not really the point and click kind of guy... I'd much rather understand what is going on.

Well, thats getting a little old... always modding the script and testing it and such.

I just installed and used the fwbuilder and it is very impressive.

I've tested the rules time and time again, using different IP, scanning, etc.
    Everything works as I've configured it.

Its wonderful! Couldn't be easier.
    bugsthecat had a point... work smart... not "hard"...

The install wasn't bad at all either. Everything you need they have on their download page. (I'm using RH9)
    The docs are easy to follow... but you shouldn't even need that. 5 min tinkering away should have you a config in no time.

Much props to the developers and to soggy bottom for posting it. I gave it a once over when he first posted it... but never really played with it.

Banned
    phishphreek80, if you are familair with firewall building and you'd like to move on to a more advanced system, check out the Trusted Information Systems' FireWall Tool Kit (FWTK) at:

http://www.fwtk.org/

It was developed in response to a ARPA solicitation that stated current packet filtering firewalls were insufficient to afford the level of flexability and security needed for particular applications.

If you like tinkering with firewall technologies or just need a good free firewall, check it out.

catch

EDITED: to fix a content altering typo.