linux partitions in windows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux partitions in windows

linux partitions in windows

i need to transfer some of my data(binaries+text) in linux partitions to windows....in windows i have NTFS partitions .................. any help how i can do it.............

are the linux and xp OS on the same box or different ones? If they're on the same box... seems to me the easiest and least complicated way would be to either put them on floppy or CD whilst in linux, reboot into windows and copy them back to windows. Note for the linux guys... yes I know you could transfer them over to the windows partition directly but I am being mindful of the fact that windows is on NTFS...

if on a network... depends upon in you have XP Pro or Home... if Pro.. you should be able to transfer over the network... if home... well either as above or email them to an email account on the Home box (being as it'd be an internal email address theres no worries about the size of the email)

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Is it on the same machine? If so, you might just want to burn a CD. (if you have that option)

The linux NTFS support isn't all that great yet. If it were FAT, it would be much easier.
    If you have the room, create a partition that is FAT. then copy your linux files to that. Boot to m$ and then copy from the FAT to NTFS. You can then delete the partition.

If it is on a different machine... y not just temporarily setup a FTP or samba server?

Zonewalker: quick fingers there buddy... great minds think alike!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

seems so Phish!

the only problem with creating a spare FAT partition if Linux and XP are on the same machine would be possible damage to the current data on ext3 (or whatever linux is using) and the NTFS partitions.... having said that though that is quite a nice solution the problem as it would enable future data transfers without having to worry about probelms with linux and NTFS - certainly something worth looking into

Z

yes both XP n mandrake are on same m/c ... i do have n/w and CD burner tooo........but what if i dont have them and is in such a situation.... i heard of something called ltools woked with them...they are called Linux mtools porting on windows...and give u web like interface to access ur files in windows... but after working with them from windows when i booted into linux... it complained of hard disk corruption andforced check .. i had to boot into fialsafe and run e2fsck manuualy...and THANX GOD i dint lost anything.... then there is also something called 'explore2fs' indeed good tool but can bring out only text files from linux partitions.....

mmm.. I've not used either of those tools so I can only guess... but I suspect that the following on the FAQ for mtools (http://mtools.linux.lu/faq.html) might be a significant factor

Mtools is intended to read FAT (native MS-Dos) filesystem, and hence cannot read CD-Roms.
    Now that was referring specifically to CD ROM's in the FAQ but readin between the lines, it looks to me that mtools (like linux) support for NTFS is a bit chancy... hence the disk corruption message.

If you were in the situation with no n/w or CD burner... I would seriously look into Phish's last suggestion about setting up a FAT32 partition.... but as I say unless you do it right you could risk losing some data due to the repartioning process (get a copy of Partition Magic in other words, as it's about the safest way to do this!)

Z

Hmm, my 2c's worth

Depending on th eversion of linux.. I have done this in Mandrake 9 and lycoris and I suspect that trhe same will be true for RH-8 .. mount the NTFS partition under linux.. and there you are copy from the NTFS part.. Please not I have only "played" with these distros for a couple of weeks each. But while running them I was able to grab files I wanted off of the NTFS partitions..

I do remember reading about some drivers that allowed you to mount several "linux" file systems under Windoze.. I may have mis-read the artical, and I can't find it in my notes..

gee I am almost as much help as Microsoft Help Desk.. I wonder If I am too good to get a job there..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Und3ertak3r.... reading from NTFS isn't a problem with Linux.... and yes he could mount the windows partition to read it under linux. However nsbuttar is wanting to transfer between the two partitions and writing to NTFS is more than a bit 'iffy' with linux... thats where the sticking point will be. I've hear (from some one on AO... can't recall which thread but a search should find it) that kernel 2.5 has better support for NTFS writing but.... I can't comment on that.

Z

PS MS helpdesk...... course you're too good.... you're reading AO aren't you

Und3ertak3r:
    You are correct. You can mount NTFS under linux. You can copy from the NTFS, but not too. Well... you can copy to... but I wouldnt recommend it. Either would the people who wrote the code. It is still being developed and unless you really want to mess up your computer (know from experience) I would not try to copy file directly from linux fs (ex2 or ex3) to NTFS.

His original post asked how to copy from linux to NTFS...
    i need to transfer some of my data(binaries+text) in linux partitions to windows....in
    Thats why I suggested a cd, or FAT(32) partition.

Oh, depending on how big your files that you want to copy...

You can look into one of those keychain flash drives too. They will mount under both linux and m$. If you don't plan on using it a lot, not sure it'd be worth the $$. But it would def. work.

Z: Damn... did it again! LoL. I don't think thats ever happended to me... especiall 2x in a row...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Phish....LOL .... sorry buddy... . I 'm not at work today so I can actually spend a bit of time on here rather than busting a gut for work colleagues who really should know better

Z

[edit] the flash chain device (or any kind of removable flash card) is a nice idea though... a compact flash card and reader/writer aren't that expensive these days at least not in the US/UK e.g. reader/writer can be got for about £25, prices of cards vary depending upon size but a 64MB can be got for a s little as £25 over here.... ... not sure about India though.

nsbuttar this could also be worth looking into if you don't want to play around with repartioning and if you have the spare £££'s (rupees)

[/edit]