Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stealing Wireless network access

Networker,

Please notice that I said "more secure" and not secure. I am fully aware of the many security issues with wireless.

IchNiSan I didn't mean any leak into ur security competences, I know u're a smart guy from previous high quality post I read from u .

I just hope that AOs around not aware of such problems will think twice before setting up there brand new WiFi, and understood that the excellent Mishra paper is a must have!
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    [Devil's Advocate]
    Tiger, in support of your Devil's Advocate theory, I found this article on Wired yesterday and I thought you would find it interesting.

DURHAM, New Hampshire -- A land where white pines easily outnumber wireless computer users, New Hampshire may seem an unlikely haven for the free networking movement.

But the state, known for its Live Free or Die motto, could become the first in the United States to provide legal protection for people who tap into insecure wireless networks.

The whole article is HERE

Cheers:
    DjM

wondering if i should retract my orginial post....

read this

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/1546

this guy got arrested for pointing out the problem to the district clerk.
    he got off scott-free, but still...

imagine calling the owner of a business to tell them that they left their door open, and having them arrest you.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    DjM: That has to be a hoax...... A law in support of personal responsibility..... It'll never happen.... A precedent would be set and then what would the politicians do?????

Good for them......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

That's an excellent question Tiger Shark.

It sounds kinda like trying to cure HIV, even though no virus has ever been successfully cured. Their trying to make it so individuals are responsible for thier own security on wireless networks, even though every bit of history I can think of goes well against that precident. Your not liable if someone walks in your open door and steals all your silverware, and you still aren't to blame if your insecure website get's cracked... what thier trying would be cool, and could really change some things. If this passes, and sticks there and in more places around the nation, I'd say the market for people like us just went through the roof.

w00t! Common Sense may reign despite humanity! (whatever that's supposed to mean?)

Note that the bill hasn't been voted on yet, so if you live in New Hampshire call your state rep, or write him, or drop by his office and tell him to vote yes for this bill. If it gets passed in one state it will make it easyer to pass else where
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Mmm....Hrmm....Ok

This is a very tuff topic technicaly its is not stealing because there are no laws to my knowlege with this this type of technology even though it would bring prosicution and law suits if the person taking the wireless acess was caught. Doing the right thing is nice but in my opinion the person next door is only going to screw you over (Pardon my french if any one takes offense to that comment). Taking something that you are able to take that is protected by a loop hole should be taken advatage of. By no means do i suport illegal activity if this is illegal then we must help our neoghbors.

Hi, I am somewhat off topic here, but I find this thread rather interesting.

My hometown has a population of around 32,000 and would not be described as hi-tech. If you walk down to the railway station and set up your laptop (I recommend using the bar rather than the hall...it gets windy round here) you can make a Wi-Fi connection just like that............it is a FREE service to the community

It is quite posssible that you will soon be able to park your vehicle outside my house and do the same, as they are looking to put a "ring" throughout the town.

My point here would be that if you can get it legal and free, you would be very difficult to defend if you "stole"?......................like why were you there in the first place, you nasty little skiddie/hacker?

just my £0.02

cheers