Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stealing Wireless network access

I have run across several towns that provide free wifi connect. One small town in Utah even has a sign on the out skirts that tells you it has free wireless connections available. I have also found that in a lot of places, I can connect just by plugging my card in (I use a belkin card and XP on my laptop). In fact just last Sunday, I was visiting a friend in Boise Id. and was showing him the card and plugged it in and found I had 3 signals avalible, and automatically connected to one. The other two were protected, one by encryption, and the other by SSID and possibly passwords.
    Not knowing a connection is setup as a free connect, I usually don't connect to them, and usually I am in an area where I can connect to a service I do subscribe to.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hi

I have had time to give this a bit more thought, and read some of the paperwork again. I have a contract with my ISP to provide me with a service. I pay them a monthly fee, and they do just that.

If someone were to use my service without detriment to myself, then I probably would not know, and certainly would not care? after all I am getting what I agreed to and am paying for.

The people who WOULD have a problem, would be my ISP They are providing a service to two customers, but can only bill one?

I would suggest that as long as you are getting the deal that you paid for, and your security is not compromised..........you have no complaints..............your ISP is losing out, not you?

Cheers