Is nothing sacred? Windows ME profiles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is nothing sacred? Windows ME profiles

Is nothing sacred? Windows ME profiles

What is the deal with that crappy OS, Windows ME? I have a password protected account on my machine. Well one day I decided not to log in, just startup with the default settings in place for guest. While playing around in my C:\WINDOWS file I came across a file called Profiles. It had everything from my "Secured" account, I could access anything! .EXE's, pics, story's, whatever... How the hell can I block Profiles from the guest account in Windows ME? Well it really isn't a "Guest" account, it's the account that loads when you click on cancel in the password prompt. Why would Microsoft do something so stupid? My Configuration settings, files, everything out in the open.

the problem is that you don't have any restrictions on file access. even worse, is that you can't have them with windows ME (unless you get some sort of goofy 3rd party prog). You'll need some form of NT, either NT, win2k or XP. And then you have to format/convert your drive with NTFS. Your right windows ME sucks major donkey balls, in my opinion it's actually worse than 98SE As far as security goes, there's not mutch you can really do short of upgrading to 2000 or XP. If you went all out and got linux you'd be secure, but the desktop environment might not be as mutch fun

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Windows ME is just a repackaged and polished version of Windows 98. By most accounts they screwed up more than they got right and Windws 98se is still the better choice.

As stated by UpperCell, Windows ME uses the FAT32 file system which offers no way to secure or encrypt files or folders natively. You can get a 3rd party utility to accomplish the goal.

I don't have experience with ME per se, but it probably works the same as 98 which means your username and password are also irrelevant. Your username and password gets you access to your profile, but anyone can just press ESC to bypass the logon screen and still have access to every file and folder on the machine.

I suggest upgrading to Windows XP or at least Windows 2000 if you want to stick with the Windows platform. They are significantly more secure than ME / 98.

Hope that helps.

Question Re: Is nothing sacred? Windows ME profiles

Originally posted here by redhawk14506
    Why would Microsoft do something so stupid?
    Stupid is, is stupid does?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Windows ME is considered by many, including me, to be the crappiest OS Microsoft has made so far, it just has to many flaws and it is not worth the trouble.

I, in fact would prefer 3.11 in terms of stability and doing what it set out to do quite well. hehe isn't that sad?

I don't like NTFS much, causes havoc when you try to recover the system from somethine (hehe, My tampering usualy) and MDK can't read it, so I'm sticking with my FAT32....
    if you ask me, if this is a singer user computer, delete the Gues accout, or give it a 25 digit password...

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

lol, i dont mean to laugh but you have to admit its funny when people realise how BAD ME really is.
    One day in the AntiOnline IRC channel i came up with a solution, This is how Microsoft could make Windows 95, 98, and the Dreaded ME closer to *NIX:

Insert a pre installed trojan like Sub7 or Netbus and have it auto turned on, at least this way its true multi user (yes i am a smart ass)

they could also give DOS a chance again, work on DOS and make the command prompt more powerful, i think that would really help.

I watched a special on TV on hackers and Linux (yes it was beautiful and i know ill prolly never see it again) but anyway, it was talking about how hackers who were buying new computers were calling up Microsoft for a refund, they didnt use Windows at all and it came on there computer pre installed, they got there money back

Acchh... Schieste! I still can't belive the horror of ME, I guess I will probably replace it with Linux, (Or Win 2k, NT maybe?). Any other suggestions for a good OS would be great. Thanks for the help guys (and gals).
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

suggestions for a good OS:

http://www.suse.com (awesome distro for Linux newbies and advanced users, very GUI based id YOU WANT it to be, by default its very nice looking and easy as hell to set up and a good distro to start learning Linux, also after you learn it you can play in the advanced tools and start learning more about Linux, buy it and install it, im using it as we speak, also unlike some distros the books that come with it teach you more than just how to use SuSe, theres a Linux admin book that comes with it and a SuSe book too so you can learn alot, it comes with 7 CDs and a DVD to install and a million tools.)

http://www.linuxiso.org (if you want something and just need to burn the install CDs go here, lotsa distros.)

http://www.freebsd.org (dont need to say anything about this...its the ****)