Thread: ATI Radeon driver problem in WinXP

Question ATI Radeon driver problem in WinXP

Error: Driver Is Stuck On An Infinate Loop

Ok guys, i DID my research on this and yes it states that the problem is in the driver. Im actually at work now and well, my client says he already downloaded the latest drivers and so far it still havent worked. im currently running tests on his vid card on XP Pro and so far everything seems fine. So, any solutions? coz i know the problem is not in the card itself, coz the guy wants the card replaced. and i already told him even if it gets replaced, it will cause thesme problem unless he gets a different type of video card.

Any suggestions from our dedicated viewers??

Have you tried going to device manager and deleting the video card drivers? You could also try calling the Manafacturer, and see what they say about it.

Also when you reinstall the drivers for the card try disabling every startup option and instaliing it only with the neccessary windows programs running. I've had programs before that wouldn't install coreectily because I had a Virus scan running or something that started up whent the computer started would interfere with it.
    =

lol actually, i am currently using the default drivers that came with the CD and running 3d tests on it and so far there is nothing wrong, tho the client insist that there is something wrong. and yeah i have visited the advisories, that is how i confirmed it was driver problems and not the actual video card.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers, deleting the hardware, rebooting, and then installing new drivers? Have had problems in the past where ATI driver rev's clobbered each other and had to do that (but that was in win98, not XP, so far so good there *fingers crossed*)...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Did the client install the "new" drivers himself? I have seen this problem twice, the first time it was caused by a user installing the driver for a different model of the video card he had....the second time it was a user installing a beta video driver(I have no idea where he got a beta video driver ). I hate semi-clued users they do the most damage.

My suggestion would to be to remove the video card, replace it temporarily, boot to safe mode and remove all of its old drivers ( I would even go into the registry and remove any instance of it mentioned there, but not every one is comfortable in the registry). Reboot with the temp card, remove its drivers, put in the original card and install its original driver. Then LART the user for installing a driver himself.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

I would yank the current drivers on his box and install the ones that came with it, just to test. Also, was the card ever working properly? If the system has an integrated video card, you may need to disable it in the bios....good luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

hold on all.... I've had some experience with the infinite loop problem....sonic, the following websites might help you

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64 (don't forget to go to the next page on this one)

http://members.home.nl/marf/Infinite%20Loop.html

I know the above relate to nVidia cards (what I have) but apparently the problem is not restricted to nVidia.

there are quite a lot of arguments saying what this is about. I'll tell you what I did

go into the BIOS, put your AGP aperture size up to either 128 or 256MB and save it. install all of the latest drivers (like you have done). Hopefully in your drivers in the advanced properties (probably accessible by right clicking desktop> properties> settings >advanced) take down the openGL and direct draw PCI texture memory buffer to about 5MB. that should sort out most of the problems. I've noted that if you have a power supply less than 350W upping the power supply can help. Apparently getting better cooling can also help.

some of this lot may also interest you

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+infinite+loop

especially the forums here

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&threadid=9263

hope that solves it for you

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes