Thread: Linux FTP Server

Linux FTP Server

Hey,
    I was wondering if I could get some input on what the best distribution of linux would be to use as a FTP server. Since I'm new to this, I don't mind learning about the technical aspect, but just would like a suggestion for what would be good to handle requests and such as a server box.
    -Thanks

I don't think the question is which distro, but which FTP server?

I'd recommend ProFTPd. It's fairly easy to set up, you can secure it in a number of effective ways, and the feature I particularly like is the ability to remove the banner revealing its version number etc. Many other FTP server insist on having the vendor's name present before even the login.

I know a guy on here (Pure) uses red hat, and my mandrake seems to have apache et al built in. I think you could find that most distros have the basics, and red hat and mandrakes' are easiest to use, which it sounds like you want.

VSFtp comes whith almost all distros. I run SUsE 8.1 as an ftp server. It is easy to configure and has worked very well for my purposes. I find it to be very secure(like the name suggests, lol).

Sorry,
    I guess the question I was actually trying to ask is What distribution is best for setting up a network and allowing for users to easily connect onto the box, which would be the server? Hopefully that makes sense....I wasn't trying to find the best FTP program (sorry slarty), but more what distribution is most powerful while still remaining easy to install, operate and maintain.
    Thanks a lot!

you can use whatever you feel comfortable with, or know how to secure best. i have yet to see a distro out there that can't handle hosting ftp. i guess if you're looking for something easy, just go with redhat or mandrake, although i've personally never used either.

this is where i would make my usual pitch for freebsd.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    Originally posted here by sparkios
    Sorry,
    I guess the question I was actually trying to ask is What distribution is best for setting up a network and allowing for users to easily connect onto the box, which would be the server? Hopefully that makes sense....I wasn't trying to find the best FTP program (sorry slarty), but more what distribution is most powerful while still remaining easy to install, operate and maintain.
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll probably be hated for this but I like redhat the best it is really great if not that then go for Mandrake. They are both somewhat easyier but for some reason I like RH more than mandrake but I haven't tried all of the *nix flavors but so far from what I've seen they are all as you said "powerfull" and they are all good for handeling networks tasks & things...

For a beginner I would first look into how to set up an FTP server and how FTP works via LinuxDocs, namely http://tldp.org there is a lot of in-depth and very useful info for you to learn from like active, passive, etc. A good place to learn that is http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Once you get the idea on FTP, then it's time to find some software that will do the job ProFTPd like slarty said is an excellent choice, and any distro will do, and personally I like Slackware. However, in the end it is what you like that will be important.

I wish you the best of luck.