Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Auto Off

XP Auto Off

Is there anyway of specifying a timer so you can set it to turn off after a number of seconds/minutes/hours etc?

Either via in built software or 3rd party software?

I download stuff all the time and sometimes theres only an hour left for somethin 2 finish, but i have to leave the comp on all night, any suggestions,

Thanks !

Control panel--performance and maitenance--power options
    There you will have control on when the monitor and hard disk should shut off, or when you want your system to go into standby or hibernation.
    later

in all reality, you wouldn't really want it to go off after an hour if you only had an hour left of DL time.... reason being: If sudden latency issues occur, you don't want your computer to turn off after only dl-ing 95% of the file because the dl speed go slower.

just a thought.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

that was just an example to show ppl wat i meant

I know about the control panel option, i mean is there anyway of turning everything off as if sum1 pressed the power button so i dont have to alter the control panel thingy everytime i wanna go to bed?

If not i'll stick with the control panel option !!

If you are using XP(pro) there is a 'shutdown' command by default .
    Just open up a 'cmd' prompt and type 'shutdown' for the options.

mmm, do i trust you on that 1 - erm no

anyway im usin xp home !!

you could use the thing my library uses, it will sign you off when ever a set amount of time is up, but i forgot what it is called.

Go get Download Accelerator Pro
    http://download.com.com/3001-2071-10127147.html
    Under options, goto scheduler, then shut down computer when download is finished.

You could always create a batch file. Then use the task scheduler to shcedule at a specific time.

Code:
    RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx X

Exit Windows, where these values apply for X:
    1: Exit Windows
    2: Reboot PC
    4: Close all applications
    8: Exit Win and turn-off ATX-compatible PC 
    0: Restart Windows shell
    -1: Restart Explorer
    Source
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

If you use the shutdown command in conjunction with a scheduled task this would work. You can also use Remote Shutdown which is part to the W2K Resource Kit and you can set the second before shut down... I do not know if there is an upper limit to the time.
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer