Is that legal?

Thread: Is that legal?

Is that legal?

My neighbor had a few pc's out by his trash the other day, and this morning i saw the garbage men toss em in the trash. I could have sworn i saw a show that said there is like mercury or some other deadly chemicals inside computers, and that the only safe way to get rid of them was to recycle. I would of had my brother go get them in the night, but my neighbor had pulled all the cord s of them..lol
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

i do not think that there is a law in california against that

Computers contain toxic heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury and chromium, all carcinogenic and not easily degraded. At present there is no system for dealing with such material, and a pioneering European directive to tackle the problem is being fought by the US government and the electronics industry. It is now more than a year behind schedule.

taken from here

Judging from that article there is going to be alot of this bad stuff mounting up. I hope they get to work quickly because i know for a fact much of this pollution is ending up in third world countries who are paid little money to have others dumb it there off big barges. That is a shame.
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

not that this really matters.... but.....

Gateway, and a few other manufacturers will give you an extra $50 rebate off of a computer if you have proof that you recycled your last one. so Basically, you can buy someone's old comp for 5 bucks and recycle it, and Gateway (and whoever else participates) will give you 50 bones off of something.

Not that I'm particularly fond of gateway, but if my workplace is going to order them anyway, we may as well save a little
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Yah, well, computers aren't the only problem..., how many cell phones are in the world? And more importantly, how many cell phone batteries?

Dell apparently has a recycling program as well:
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics..._recycling.htm

Hopefully more companies will move in this direction, and consumers along with them.
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Is this the box, the moniter or both?

Dead Man Walking
    out of the 50 bucks you save for recycling it, how much does it cost to recycle? just curious. I know way back when in the days of comodore 64s and such a buddy of mine got the bright idea to scrape off the gold from all the connectors and melt it down into ingots and sell them. unfortunately after god only knows how man hours scrapping the metal was to fine and just burned up when put into the electric ladel......he was kinda ticked