Screen Saver

Thread: Screen Saver

Screen Saver

I was wondering where the Screen Saver Password file is located in Windows 98, and if it is stored encrypted? I have a somewhat publicly located computer in my house, and a lot of people who I'd like to stop from using it.

seems to me a legit question..

this page gives you all the info you need..

to be able to read it you'd have to learn dutch.. But that's ok.. it will help you grow spiritualy
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hi Jimminy,

Erm, Also you may want to try enabling password protection your PC on start up.
    (\windows\Controlpanel\users)

Also try here for more advice / ideas .......
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper...Systems/Win98/

If its data your looking to hide rather than prevent access try www.magicfolders.com
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    seems to me a legit question..

this page gives you all the info you need..

to be able to read it you'd have to learn dutch.. But that's ok.. it will help you grow spiritualy
    Too bad google doesn't provide translation from/to dutch... But it's kind enough to give me a list of sites who does. Just search "free languange translation dutch" at google. I've tried two of those sites and both are FAR from perfect. So the_JinX, if u can teach us some Dutch... I'll buy u some yummy original nasi goreng with kerupuk (when u come to Jakarta)

Here is the translated text by worldlingo:

Traffic-jams included

* ss95deco.exe
    * ss95deco.txt (this resistant)
    * ss95deco.cpp (the source code)

What does ss95deco
    ss95deco the windows 95/98 decode screen saver guard word. This guard word stands stored gecodeert in the registry.

How I does it aanroep?
    ss95deco: uses c:\windows\user.that as an input.
    ss95deco export.reg: uses export.reg as an input.
    ss95deco h:\userXXX\user.that: uses h:\userXXX\user.that as an input.

Why still windows 95/98 screen saver decoder?
    The existing screensaver decoders which I had found did not decode all character between 31 and 127 well. Furthermore they decoded but to maximum passwoord length of 14 characters. Another decoder needed even several traffic-jams the encoded obtain string from the registry.

Since there is a large number of people those their inlogwachtwoord the same have such as their screensaver guard word this tool can be skilful at retrieving of this.

How does it work?
    Windows 95/98 store the encoded guard word in the registry:
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\SCREENSAVE_DATA
    guard words which exist from characters >31 and <127 become gedecodeert, could not the programme the character recognise put the there <?> for in the place. The maximum password length which recognises become by this programme are 18. Also the bits registry by regedit geexporteerd are supported, this offers therefore the possibility of storing this rapidly and then later the affair to decode.

To decode
    The windows represented every character the string encoded by two characters in. Each character have a fixed value on a certain spot this way if the first character a ' a ' is this always by the same two characters in the string is represented, independently of the length of the guard word and the following characters. I no algorithm has been possible discover representatie and the place of the character. Because of this I was obliged this to solve with tables. In this programme are present tables therefore 18 which represent the charcters between 31 and 127 with always 2 characters. This is therefore the largest part of the code.

Found bugs mbt the screensaver in OSR2
    1 guard word all windows in Uppercase are put, because of this the number of possible codings decreases drastically.
    2 Each charachter in the guard word string are represented by each time 2 characters in the encoded string. With as last 2 characters ' 00 ' to conclude the string encoded. This has therefore as a disadvantage that infer the length of the guard word directly is from the encoded string. 3 If you think a guard word established longer than 14 characters to windows that you have established no guard word and therefore on a test will not press in the screen the saver the guard word to ask but simply the screensaver conclude. (MAJOR BUG)
    4 Further zit still a buffer overflow, if you establish a guard word that longer is than 19 character then windows on its face go. You get no blue baffle, but simply error report. Unfortunately work afterwards whole no longer good and you have been forced start windows again on.

I can hope that these bugs are obtained in windows 98 from.
    Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

lol.. yeah.. well.

the funny part it translated the .dat ( c:\windows\user.dat ) to .that

that won't do..

it was just the first descent document a http://www.google.com/search?q=windo...ssword+decrypt gave me..

so do as Jdenny said.. GOOGLE

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    Babel fish by altavista will translate to and from just about any language, just search for "Altavista's Babel Fish" minus the quotation marks.

for a newbie its my first post but this screen saver password is encrypted and can be decrypted by using a xor logic .can`t remember all of it right now .will let you know soon .till then i hope you get a suitable ans to your problem.

bye friend