Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copy controlled cd: Ben Harper's latest

copy controlled cd: Ben Harper's latest

I just bought the latest Ben Harpers' cd ("Diamonds on the Inside") and unfortunately is a copy controlled cd which means I can just barely listening on my PC and DVD player but not make a copy on my SONY minidisc for personal pleasure. As I think this method is rather illegal because I payed a cd and I must have freedom to make personal reproductions on tape or minidisc I would like if there is any chance to make a reproduction (CD clone doesn't work).

Stefano
    www.backpacker.it

Nah I consider it a pain in the backside..

These audio CD's have a autorun file that request the loading of a custom media player. Now I haven't loaded it and don't intend to on my main system.. I may try it on one of my test systems and see what it does.. untill then I will continue with what I have done.. use any of my current cd rippers to load on to the HDD, then load across to the devices I will use to listen to the files..
    I suspect that as far as the Recording Industry is concerned the act of copying even for personal use is not legal.. So unless the copy protection isn't making the audio files indeciperal in your stereo systems cd/dvd player then they are not realy doing any thing illegal. Their reaction to the P2P file sharing systems has just made it dificult for those of us who operate in a grey area of the copyright law, those who like to protect our purchases of audio cds by creating a backup and or use the files in machines that the are not cd players ie your Midi Disk/Car HDD MP3 Player/ MP3 Diskman et al

stay cool.. you are not grounded.... yet

I do question if this is the correct forum for your thread, certainly no stegno nor crypto involved here.. IMHO..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

try http://club.cdfreaks.com if anyone has the answer it will be there

If you can hear it, and you are in control of the environment in which you hear it. you can copy it... line from cd player out - to pc line in, or tape recorder (horrible quality on tape though). It's not that hard, I've had this setup for years. I regognize the annoyance factor though... that's all their doing, is trying to decrees the number of people who go through the trouble of copying it by making it annoying

Originally posted here by UpperCell
    If you can hear it, and you are in control of the environment in which you hear it. you can copy it... line from cd player out - to pc line in, or tape recorder (horrible quality on tape though). It's not that hard, I've had this setup for years. I regognize the annoyance factor though... that's all their doing, is trying to decrees the number of people who go through the trouble of copying it by making it annoying
    To further that thinking along...I would be amazed if your minidisk recorder didn't have a audio line in (I know mine dose). Just take the audio line out from the CD player to the line in of the minidisk recorder hit play on the player and record on the recorder. This removes any issue with audio quality degradation caused by the computer.

I noticed the mentioning of a file that autoplays in computers that runs its own media player. Granted I'm not the most knowledgeable linux user, as far as I know linux doesnt autorun things, it may auto mount or auto play a cd depending on how its setup, but i dont think it runs windows-style autorun files. Along that line of thinking, I would think it possible to extract the .cda files on some kine of *nix system and encode to mp3 or whatever desired format for use on other cds or MD players. Just a thought, feel free to correct me.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Originally posted here by Syini666
    I noticed the mentioning of a file that autoplays in computers that runs its own media player. Granted I'm not the most knowledgeable linux user, as far as I know linux doesnt autorun things, it may auto mount or auto play a cd depending on how its setup, but i dont think it runs windows-style autorun files. Along that line of thinking, I would think it possible to extract the .cda files on some kine of *nix system and encode to mp3 or whatever desired format for use on other cds or MD players. Just a thought, feel free to correct me.
    You are correct on how linux cds work and you should be able to copy the files ..infact you can disable auto run in windows as well

..infact you can disable auto run in windows as well
    I think that if you hold in left shift when putting in the cd, it'll bypass autoplay.

That doesn't help you making an cd to cd copy though...

If you can't make an exact copy... why don't you just try to capture the music?
    What I mean by that is... since it is going to be played in .wav format, there are programs that can caputre it.

Like http://www.soundrecorder.net/ for example.

I didn't look too much... but I'm sure you can find a free one if you really look.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I found the way to remove the copy protection from cd simpply by using WINDAC (www.windac.de) and it worked!

Stefano

From www.benharper.net

Ben Harper "Diamonds on the Inside" Consumer Notice
    If you recently bought a U.S. pressing of the compact disc "Diamonds on the Inside" by Ben Harper, you may have received a copy that includes copy protection technology that was intended for use in advance copies. The compact discs embodying this technology are designed to play in all devices that play compact discs, including computers and car stereos. However, you will not be able to make mp3, CD or other digital copies of these CDs.... Please visit Virgin Records America, Inc. for the complete memo and recall information.
    Apparantly the protection was only intented to be on the advance copies, but somehow the first pressings for stores got it as well. Just figured on giving everyone a bit more info bout the situation.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0