Windows 2003 Security Guide

Thread: Windows 2003 Security Guide

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Windows 2003 Security Guide

Since many of us will be beating the crap out of Win2K3 in lab environments, I figured that others here could use this doc put out by microsoft. It is a security guide for the new Win 2K3 server. I have just gotten my hands on W2K3 so I can't really say how good this is but it is worth a look none the less.

From the site:
    =============================================
    The Windows Server 2003 Security Guide provides levels of guidance for a number of server roles in multiple different client environments. This guidance includes steps to harden Domain Controllers, Infrastructure servers, File servers, Print servers, IIS servers, IAS servers.

The Windows Server 2003 Security Guide focuses on providing a set of easy to understand guidance, tools, and templates to help secure Windows Server 2003 in many environments. While the product is extremely secure from the default installation, there are a number of security options that can be further configured based on specific requirements. This guidance not only provides recommendations, but also the background information on the risk that the setting is used to mitigate as well as the impact to an environment when the option is configured.

You can get the download here:
    =============================================
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...displaylang=en
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Is this OS supposed to be "the most secure ever" (like all the rest) just because they disabled IIS and file/print by default?
    Its about freaking time! No kudos from me... yet.

I guess I'll just have to wait for reports on this OS. A poor college peep like myself can't afford to mess with it.

After you're done shooting holes in it... let us know how it stands up. Or falls down... whichever comes first.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Isn't that an oxymoron? Win2k3 and security???
    Sorry.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

phishphreek... I think that M$ may be giving out 120 day samples or something like that if you do wanna try it. If not, they are having a coming out party (Bar Mitzvah?) for it in may. They usually give out free stuff there, and the meeting/gathering/whatever is free to the public if you sign up.
    Might be worth a try.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Yeah man, I am ready to try not only old NT sploits but many of the Win2K sploits as well. Couple that with the new functionality testing that we will do and I *should* come up with some good stuff!

It's funny how old problems have a way of surfacing again in later revs of their OS. So much for checking in code properly

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

2k3 actualy comes with most services turned off by default makeing it far more secure then any thing MS has released before..its a setp in the right direction
    Two quick notes.
    1. This was on of three guides posted last firday.
    2. It was allready posted here at these threads
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243029
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243010
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

ACK!!! Sorry about that. I'll pay closer attention next time...I don't want to submit the same NFO over and over again. Baaaad things happen when you do that

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

--TH13