Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military cryptolinguist test

Military cryptolinguist test

I know that in the AF, in order to be a cryptolinguist, you have to get a nasty high score on the ASVAB, and then take a DLAB test. (where you decipher an imaginary language)

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/.../aa072301a.htm
    (basic description)

http://forums.about.com/ab-usmilitar...F=y&msg=9630.1
    (advice given from some people who've taken the test.)

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of a practice DLAB? I googled, snapped, and webferreted, and found nothing. If you find one, please post the link.

thx,
    -skurIT

Probably you could try this search engine http://www.ultimasurf.com They have many kind of specialized search engines there.

I found this site. You might try it out. Good luck!
    http://usmilitary.about.com/sitesear...de=3042&type=1
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

the sugestion I have gotten is check with a Barns and noble/Borders as there si a published paractice test taht they can get (also check the local libraiy). As for the ASVAB if you can breath you can get the score required, its just testing basic comprehension (can you rea, add, ect) My wife went in hungover and exaushted with out a day of studying and got a stupid high score (I believe it was one question missed..but they grade it oddly so that may have been considered a perfect score). If yo cn breath and tie your shoes you can pass the ASVAB..and accoreding to one of my friends you can get them to give it to you as a spoken exam if you have a documented learning disorder (like me with dyslexia) that would keep you from testing well.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

ASVAB

Contrary to some civilians belief, the ASVAB is not a test that is passed or failed. It is merely graded. While you may be able to score high if you are hung over or by randomly guessing, the net result is still two sets of scores. One is a cumulative score. Keep in mind that you can enter the Army with a composite score of 30, but dont expect to be crytolingualing anything for Uncle Sugar. For OCS you have to have had at least a 50, plus requisite 'line' scores from the individual mods. You can skew the average in things like English comprehension, and basic math, but the score in the general quotient section doesnt do much more than get you in. If you want Crypto Lingual or any other computer or network security MOS you are looking at a 90-110 in Math, a 90-120 in General Technical, and who knows what in mechanics and electronics, with a General *** score of at least a 50, and thats just to get in. Some of the more specialized MOSs have a *** score of 70 or above to qualify. (Think NSA type stuff).

Hope this helped.

PFC Cedric Satterfield
    US Army, Automated Logistics
    Freed in 2002
    G Co., 244th QM BN, 23rd BGE
    Ft. Lee, VA
    [shadow]To a cop the explanation\'s always simple. There\'s no mystery to the street, no arch criminal behind it all. It if you find a body and you think his brother did it, you\'re gonna find out you\'re right. [/shadow]

AS I said my wife got in the 100's hung over with no studying or sleep (she went into OCS then was supposed to go to Navy Intel). A buddy I met while she was in the service got in the 90's after pulling only a 19 on the ACT's.
    If you can get online and post on a message board you can cakewalk the ASVAB. Note if you want to get into OCS you need to finish college first, although a lot of guys join at 18, do school during their enlistment then do OCS. The best option if you want to go officer may be doing ROTC during college, I believe they give you money towards school and its significantly easier then OCS (at least for the Navy its run by marine DI's, air force OCS is supposed to be cake)

The DLAB is a little different as a CS/English major she had an advantage, being exposed to grammar rules and EBNF (extended Backus-Naur Form). Have a strong understanding of sentence structure and creation…know the English grammar rules and have an idea on how words are formed.

I was an English Lit./Education/Music major. No offense to taking the test hung over...I took it on an hour and a half of sleep. I was 22 when I went in and my MEPS room mate was some 18 year old that hadnt graduated yet. It was house party central after he discovered that there were other 'kids' in the hotel. I finally told him he could sleep in their room and explain it at roll call in the morning!

You are right, the English probably helped her immensely, especially since the DLAB is less about 'knowing' a language and more about deducing structure and grammatical rules from one the Army makes up and exposes you to. Lots of musicians and
    geeks, of all people, score well on the DLAB, too...no one ever thinks of Music, or programming as a 'language'.

Good luck to her.

Cedric
    [shadow]To a cop the explanation\'s always simple. There\'s no mystery to the street, no arch criminal behind it all. It if you find a body and you think his brother did it, you\'re gonna find out you\'re right. [/shadow]

Good luck to you, she wont be needing it (a degenrative ankle disorder that wasnt caught on the physical got her a medical discharge)

not to be ringing my own bell, but going into the AF, which is the hardest branch to get into score wise, you need at least a high 60's score to get into crypto lingual (the highest score being a 99). I got a 99.
    There is some dumb stuff (reading, vocab, etc.) but they also have physics and electric circuit calculations and stuff.

never did take the dlab. just kinda wanted to see what it was like.

thanks for all who posted dlab links.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.