Filtering out additional SPAM in Outlook

Thread: Filtering out additional SPAM in Outlook

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Filtering out additional SPAM in Outlook

In case you aren't using the FILTERS.TXT option, here is a quick instruction sheet that I just did on how to enable it. With some good rules, we should be able to catch another 50% of spam messages on the client machines without losing an e-mail at all.

1) Save the attached FILTERS.TXT into the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033" directory. Replace the version that is there.

2) Click on the Organize button on the taskbar (see attached ORG.JPG).

3) Click on the "Junk E-Mail" button. Tell Outlook to move all e-mail to the Junk folder (see attached JUNK.JPG).

4) Click "Turn on". When prompted, click on the "OK" button to create the Junk Mail folder in the user's Outlook folder.

Hope that this helps,

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Those filters do help out a lot. At least... it makes it easier for you to weed out msgs you actually want to read.

I've also been using the free version of mailwasher.

If you've never used it... give it a try. I know people who have reduced their inboxes from 50-100/day spam msgs a day to as little as 2-10/day. Pretty decent if you ask me.

I don't get much spam to start with... maybe 2-5msgs a month... but I don't give out my real email either. I use separate accounts for everything. Newsletters go to one account, usernames and pwds go to another, etc.

Any spam that I would have gotten... gets blacklisted by mailwasher and just bounces back to them.

If you know that you most likely wouldn't recieve mail from someone in another part of the world... blacklist them! Hell... I blacklist any server that allows the relaying of spam.

I've also never had anyone complain that they were supposed to recieve mail from someone and couldn't get it because they were blacklisted. Most of the open relays are not run by big companies... rather little ISPs that need the spammers $$. Even people that just don't know how to configure their mail server...

Anywho... good tutorial!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Sounds kewl. I will check it out.

The reason I did this tut is because our handy dandy e-mail group can't figure out how to properly configure their SPAM appliance and since I cannot touch it without going through a *ton* of red tape, I decided to take measures on the client side.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I think addition we sould not use free webmail like yahoo or hotmail. Buy a mail and use some program anti spam

DRAT!!!

This program is cool but it only supports POP3 in the freeware version. I wanted to use it with Exchange wich you already know uses IMAP.

Phish ole' buddy, this is still great stuff for home use though.