Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VNC Viewer

This is the second snapshot.
    DjM

And this is the last one, the 'top' info.

Thanks.
    DjM

Ok, several things:

1. It is normal for "memory used" on the "free" command to go up gradually after boot. This is because it includes memory being used as disc cache. However, swap should never be used unless you run some big stuff on a machine that size.

2. There is definitely a problem with gnome-terminal. It may be that it's crashed or gone wrong in some way, and has entered an infinite loop.

3. As "gnome-top" also seems to be using an unreasonably large amount of memory, I would imagine that the problem is in some common gnome (or lower) kit, probably caused by an unexpected interaction with Xvnc (which I suspect isn't faulty itself)

The problem is probably in some libraries and won't be easy to debug. However, others may have experienced it. Check the relevant mailing lists.

As far as actually using the system is concerned, I'd recommend not using gnome apps in your vnc session until the problem can be resolved - as it will probably reduce performance to an unacceptable level.

I take it these memory leaks do not seem to occur when the same programs are run inside a non-vnc session?

as to the vnc on 2kserver.....I've seen this and it's from an older version probably 3.2.2 or some such....stop the service first... drop to dos and go to the install dir (could be tridiavnc)
    type winvnc -install....it will restart the service itself, reboot if u can and it will bring up the settings screen....this has worked for me before(the original version 1.5 that was the way to install as a service)...don't do it with vnc running as a service...then it'll really screwup...

with the older versions the best way was ... install but not as a service, reboot, do the dos install.....

problem is it puts in the old command in the "run" key "winvnc/servicehelper" by default, and then it installs as a service, this is were it screws up on u
    jeez I\'m tired of ms and bill lining his pockets, but it keeps me employed