Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC Viewer

Question VNC Viewer

I am currently using a VNC Viewer from RealVNC. Now it appears that this puppy has a BIG memory leak. Has anyone else here used this product? Have you experienced any memory problems. Any ideas on fixing the problem. Now I know I could us another VNC product, but I would like to see if there is a work around for this before I punt it. The viewer is running on a Win2K box (no memory problems here) and I use it to attach to one on my Linux (Red Hat 7) servers (this is where the leak is).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    DjM

So you're saying the leak is in the viewer or server? I've used RealVNC viewer on Win2K with no issues, and the server as well. So unless there's some unchecked security settings you let get by you that are causing this, I has some issues on win2k untill I messed around with the settings, then I can't help you as I've never used it on *nix. The issues with 2k happened when my settings didn't disable the local keyboard/mouse, if my roomate was using the computer when I logged in some wierd stuff happened, maybe it's the same case in *nix?
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Haven't had any memory leaks running on either xp pro or redhat 7.2. One solution might be to give the java viewer a try.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by Pecosian
    So you're saying the leak is in the viewer or server?
    I am going to have to say it is on the Server side. When you start a session a process seems to start on the Linux box call "gnome-terminal". This is the process that's sucking the life out of the memory.

Cheers:
    DjM

I've had no issues using VNC on FreeBSD and Win2k. Now if I could just remember the name of that encryption package to make me feel safer about using VNC..... *hint* *hint* Anyone?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm unsure of what encryption package you are speaking of KorpDeath but maybe this will be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Encrypting VNC Connections with SSH

You have to set up a VNC server on the remote windows machine, preferably with a password protecting the client access. If you start up your VNC server, then it will listen on port 5900. For this example it will be on winserver.cern.ch.

Unfortunately the VNC protocol is unencrypted, so the crackable password and the content of your remote screen would be visible on the network. To avoid security problems it is possible to tunnel the VNC session through an SSH channel

I am currently using a VNC Viewer from RealVNC.
    RealVNC is not the only implementation of VNC. Try TightVNC:
    http://www.tightvnc.org/intro.html

# Efficient compression algorithms. New Tight encoding is optimized for slow and medium-speed connections and thus generates much less traffic as compared to traditional VNC encodings. At the same time, TightVNC supports all the standard VNC encodings, so it can operate efficiently over fast networks, too. Thus, with TightVNC you can work remotely almost in real time in most network environments.
    # Configurable compression levels. You can choose any appropriate level of compromise between compression ratios and coding speed, depending on your connection speed and processor power.
    # Optional JPEG compression. If you don't care too much about perfect image quality, you can use JPEG compression which will compress color-rich screen areas much more efficiently (the image quality level is configurable too).

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Thumbs down Another VNC Problem

Much as I adore vnc and it makes my life much easier.

I have to complain about this. When I vnc into my win2000 server and use active directory my vnc will lock me out on the next logon attempt. Anyone else experienced this.

P.S I already know that you just stop and restart the service but its a bloody pain getting up and walking all the way over there "bout 20feet"

DjM:

gnome-terminal is not part of or related to VNC. I assume you're using XVnc on the Unix side, and you're seeing an unreasonably large amount of memory used by gnome-terminal?

It's true that it uses more memory than xterm (you might want to consider xterm instead), but unlikely that it leaks.

Can you post some evidence to this supposed memory leak?

Remember that memory sizes displayed by ps/top etc include shared libraries hence aren't really very accurate (if 10x processes use the same library, it will only be in memory once, but it is shown for all of them)

Originally posted here by slarty
    DjM:

Can you post some evidence to this supposed memory leak?
    Slarty, I am not sure what evidence you need or want, but I will be posting three images. The first one (mem1) is a snapshot of when I first start the VNC session. The second post will be a snap about 10 minutes later and the third is the 'top' information of the system (running for about 10 mins.)

Sorry to do this in three posts but, it seems that's the only way to get the images here.

Cheers:
    DjM