Thread: Need Help on Upgrading this PC!!

Lightbulb Need Help on Upgrading this PC!!

I got a Gateway 400MHZ Celeron, 64 MB Ram, Looks pretty good, I will be able to finally crack it open tomarrow and take a look at the insides. I got it for Free, came with the Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, but as you can tell, its pretty slow, and wont do me much good, so I figure, I have some extra cash right now, so Maybe I will buy some stuff for it, and turn it into a project for fun. I need some help, as this will be my first PC Build, even though I have upgraded RAM, and Graphics Cards on other PC's before, but never anything else.. is there anything I need to know about upgrading this? I mean, can I switch to processor to a faster processor while keeping the same motherboard? Im going to add Ram equal enough to 256, and throw a 32 MB or 64 MB Graphics Card into it, maybe a better fan, Bigger Hard-Drive (current one is only 10 GB).. I just need some help on how to do this, any websites with tutorials or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
    \"Say When.\" - Doc Holiday

Dude, lol i posted about this topic under this one
    hope it helps u and have a nice day ( i aways wanted to say that....lol). ;-)
    It's the thread build a computer on a budget.. by me (d00dz attackin)
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Im a newbie, your thread had lists of sites you can buy stuff from, I need a site that can tell me step by step on how to upgrade everything in the case. Pictures would be good
    \"Say When.\" - Doc Holiday

Ok, IM when u have time on your hands !!! Whit3 eyed Tig3r k cya
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Try Building PC's for Dummies! It's one of the Dummies series it help me it has pictures and step by step instructions;-) I don't know if there is a onlline version thou or tryHELP BUILDING PC'S they should have a answer for U
    Hehe!! Make sure u ground yourself before playing with the motherboard eletro static discharge and U be buying a new board. Make sure if U buy a new processor it's fits your board socket. It's should be a 478 socket thou

If you wan't to find out about your motherboard try finding the model number (usuall located on the biggest chip on the board or thers a sticker that says it) Type that number into a search engine and it should give you a website for the manafucturer. From there you can find out what the biggest processor it will suport is and the largest amount of ram etc.

Chances are you will have to buy a new board, it just depends on what you want.
    =

lol yea the static forgot about that the most important thing... hmmmm u also have to ground your self before puting the cpu in the motherbored (meaning touching something metal,and not moving your legs on floor or things to that matter) Also socket 478 are for Celeron/p4 and if u want a nice gaming computer go for AMD socket A, and u will need to buy a new motherbored strong that the cpu's spped. To install this cpu into the motherbored look at the cpu bottom and at the top of the pins u will see that the sides (two) it looks like the pins got cut off and look at the motherbored it will have the same shape. And put it in and socket and your done. I have no idea why i just wrote that but o well.ok about the RAM get DDR which is two times faster then sdram (which is the ram your using now) Buying DRR 256 MB at 2100(< the speed) it is like i think 40 $ If u wanna go in extra mile go for DDR 256 at 2700 just 60$. click http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ory_memory.asp to see more about that.. OOOO and about the video card on a budget buy the XFX GeForce4 MX440se 64MB SDR with TV Out
    not the best in to world but hey and 50% up front and 20 back mail and rebate... which is very good for the cost of it find more about it here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=P450-7232 and if not on a budget hahaha buy on of these ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro 128MB AGP Video Card
    if your bill gates... it's JUST HAHAAH, 399.99 it's just one of those things.lol find more out here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=A177-3024. To install this thing is so easy,first open the case then u will see on top on your comps(where u put your modem,sound card,etx)u will see a little bit longer one, take the old one out and put the new one in and it will have a cd to install it with and install it like if where a progg. About the DDR one bad thing is that if u have SDRAM it will not work with it so take it out and slap in your nice new DDR.SDRAM is cheaper then DDR and if your on a budget don't buy DDR then....
    I know there are a lot of mistakes in this mothermofo (rofl) sorry about that but i have to get to sleep SCHOOL TOMORROW HOW FUN
    Hope this helps u and good luck, *d00dz in cyberspace, build the best PC out there...
    cya
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD