Thread: done, but with errors on page

Exclamation done, but with errors on page

Hey folks
    My evening started with an issue (don't they all?).
    My cd burning drive disapeared...I did a system restore and it showed back up.

The restore took me to a point before I'd installed Nortons Firewall. I went to remove system works and then reinstall the firewall. Doing an 'uninstall' of system works left me with Nortons Utilities and Nortons Antivirus 2002 still installed...but there are no uninstallers, I searched everywhere.
    They do not appear in the add/remove portion of control panel. I know they are still there because trying to install any of the Nortons products now says I need to remove those components before continuing with installation.

And finally.....
    Every IE page I open loads with errors on the page (I've tried rebooting/I've tried system restore...which keeps failing/I'm current on updates) I dont' even know where to begin approaching this.....

help??

Thank you
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

I had a similar problem to this.

First of all get rid of system works. Its a real pain when you try to do erm just about anything.

Switch off your autorecover.

Delete the files in temp and internet temp.

switch on autorecover.

run scandisk and defrag.

next run a full system scan with your norton. (if you don't it keeps trying to do it in the background.)

Reeboot

at the run prompt type "msconfig"

Choose the safe boot option.

reeboot to safe ish mode

your programs should have re-appeared in the list.

Note (you have to use msconfig to get back out of safeish mode as well.)

what is autorecover?
    I'm assuming it has to do with the system restore points, but I'm not sure....I can't find any reference to it on my system.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Doh,

turn off all the restore software you have on.

It seems to have been a dodgy corrupt temporary file on my machine that caused some of my problems.

If you turn off the recovery options it deletes it completely from the FAT hence its not a problem anymore.(note also empty your recycle bin)

---uninstalling Norton

Hello Faqt...Norton shows up in my "add/remove" programs list(Win xp pro). but I did have a similar problem removing another program that didn't show up in add/remove. I went to run- search and pulled up several of the areas where the program was listed and deleted them from there. Also someone else did a tut. on going thru run--regedit and I tried that and found more of the same program listed there.Use the search engine on AO and you'll find the step by step procedure for deleting from "regedit".---Doc
    Doc51