Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something Very Badly Wrong. Urgent

Something Very Badly Wrong. Urgent

Guys,

Something very badly is wrong with my comp.

i was watching movies last night and it seemed fine. i came back on today and went to watch another movie but it kept freezing, and not responding at all.

i rebooted and tried again thinking just a onetime error, but it kept doing it.

i went through system settings and it showed nothing out of the ordinary. i dont have autoupdate and dont have any patches.

i ran ad-aware 6.0, found nothing, used reglceaner and got rid of all the junk and then scanned for viruses using nortons AV, and still nothing.

basically, it runs slower than it should and basically its crap.

my specs are:

1.2 Ghz Athlon AMD
    512 Mb Mem
    Win Xp Pro
    40Gb HDD

below is a screen shot of the system monitor, and... well, look. the pagefile is using like 150% more than it usually does and the CPU process is always 100%. even from the word go.

i dont know whats causing. any ideas and solutions will be greatly appreciated.

any other information you guys need just ask.

please help, its a pain in the A$$
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

click processes and check what application uses the memory... shut it down manually, check if your machine runs normal again and then reboot... Hope it works

Any unusual processes running?

OK, i use a program called seti@home... is runs data units and analysis them. that was running overtime which is weird... cause usually it doesnt take that much power...maybe its got a large unit to analyse.

okay, the cpu power is still jumping around alot, from 6% to 10% idle. jumping jumping.

and the page file is still using heaps. usually it just sits there unused. anyways, i will look around a bit more and see if there are apps jumping unually.

thanks for the advice.

if possible, wondering if there are other problems/solutions
    ----Homer J Simpson----

also

dodgy programm executable.. this will occasionaly not show up in the task manager some times not..
    so disable your normal startup proggies and see what happens..that is if ya don't have some malware..

could even be a dodgy device driver...

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

It seems that your computer's memory and CPU is being "drained". altought you didn't find anything with norton's AV, this looks like some sort of virus activity, a worm perhaps?

I would recommend that you run regedit and look over and over again for all the processes that are being loaded into memory, and try to find anything unusual to the system. run msconfig and do the same.

in the task manager, try to identify the applications that are pulling too much CPU resources, and disable them.

is your norton AV virus batabase updated? if not, update the AV and try another scan, or go to symantec's home page and run their online security scanner.

From the information that you gave, i can't think of much more to do.... i hope that this helps you...

did this movie you were trying to watch happen to be in AVI format?

not long ago i got some movies at a LAN in avi format, they wouldnt play because i got a stop error during the transfer, just as it was finishing, i tried to play the movie but it continually caused the system to crash, even if i didnt try to play it the system would crash or become unusable, BTW this is a rather new computer (4 months old)

as soon as i deleted the dodgy AVI files everything was back to normal

hmm, mr leachy, you might be onto something.... i read your reply and when i went to the properties of the file, it froze again... i deleted it.

however, when i went to properties of the avi file, i was playing music through the same program i was using in all instances.. windows media player... v9.

maybe its the media player. anyways, if it freezes again, after the reboot i will be back for another deduction of what it might be.

btw, i downloaded the movie file through kazaa, but not really. its hosted on a site but its used the dat signatures so thats why i used kazaa. it was the farscape series. (First Series episode 2)

anyways, i given up on that for a while. lets just see if its that file i deled or if its media player.

thanks again

Okay, im positive its the media player... it freezes during playback. im not sure without playback...:s

okay, but i restored the computer to an automatic checkpoint...which possible is where media player autoupdated and did what its done to it. so hopefully that stopped it. if not, we will have to find out whats wrong with the player itself.

will get back to you soon

Ok, this is turning into something horrid.

i rebooted after it froze again, and im not going to use media player...and hopefully i can know if thats the problem exactly.

if it is, i will be glad its not something evil and hard to get rid of

i will let you know if it freezes again, but if it does it wont be tonight, i will be having i nice hot bath...forgetting all my troubles.

hopefully, media player is the problem.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Trust Not,

If you used power DVD 3.0 to play your DVD I am having the same problem.

You need to do a cold boot to get rid of it.

Its like a pingy lag every few seconds?

no mark. nothing like that. its just normal avi's and mp3s.

okay everyone.

its definately media player. cause im not using it and im bored but at least the comp hasnt dropped out.

so, any suggestions on what it is and how to get rid of it? i could un-install and re-install if ya'll think that might work? anyways, i await your comments.

thanks again.
    ----Homer J Simpson----