Thread: Useful feature on 2k3

Thumbs up Useful feature on 2k3

This article goes over software restriction policies, a new feature in 2k3. Basically what these allow you to do is control what programs can be installed/run on systems in your network . Finally A way to keep users from running BearShare/Gator/Kazza and killing my bandwidth without resorting to LARTing them. Ok I will miss the occasional LARTing but I am sure they will find new reasons for me to flex my muscles. I am not a big MS proponent, but as long as this works they are doing something right.

Now if they could just get Win2k3 to play nice with Win2k we'd be all set.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hopefuly thats a service pack...Honstly I will fallow my standard procedure with 2k3 that I fallow for any MS product. I will not touch it till service pack 2, and then I will test the heck out of it before it hits the network.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

The Iceman Cometh
    Now if they could just get Win2k3 to play nice with Win2k we'd be all set.
    No kidding, KorpDeath. I upgraded one of my internal servers to Windows 2003 Enterprise to test it before deploying it across the rest of my network and I've had headache upon headache due to compatibility, both between various workstations (NT especially) and the other Windows 2000 servers.

I want that damn 2k3 so bad, I've only heard so much about it, and a dialup lUser like myself cant download it =(
    and Hell If Im gonna PAY for it...

Side Note, for those who didn't understand what bballad said,

LART // Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool. 1. n. In the collective mythos of scary devil monastery, this is an essential item in the toolkit of every BOFH. The LART classic is a 2x4 or other large billet of wood usable as a club, to be applied upside the head of spammers and other people who cause sysadmins more grief than just naturally goes with the job. Perennial debates rage on alt.sysadmin.recovery over what constitutes the truly effective LART; knobkerries, semiautomatic weapons, flamethrowers, and tactical nukes all have their partisans. Compare clue-by-four. 2. v. To use a LART. Some would add "in malice", but some sysadmins do prefer to gently lart their users as a first (and sometimes final) warning. 3. interj. Calling for one's LART, much as a surgeon might call "Scalpel!". 4. interj. [rare] Used in flames as a rebuke. "LART! LART! LART!"

hope that clears things up. : )~

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com