Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hacking, Hacker > Cracker

very nice

Nice post. So you can do a little research on the origins of language. What I really want to know though Is have you yet wrote a program that actually executes. Nice site I saw with your self proclamation of your programming skills or was that the humor of that site. Nothing annoys me more than a bs artist, in here or anywhere else and until you prove me wrong i will drop in on your threads from time to time because just like my comment on the negs I have given you in the past YOU SUCK!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Red face Some people just don't get it eh

How do I crack registration codes indeed.

Start at the beggining of this forum and perhaps you will get the point.

Originally posted here by Fabs
    The term "Hacker" originated in MIT as a reference for people who were adept at programming and computers and were known for pushing computers beyond their the limits of how far they were expected to go.
    However in my mind a Hacker is any white/grey/black hat who can break into computers.
    a Cracker is a black hat or someone into breaking warez copy protection.
    [Old Man Rant]

This is probably where all of this confusion started, Replace MIT programmers with Model rail road club of the 50's and replace adept programming with electronics whiz and you have the MIT origin of the term (this stayed very obscure and seems to transfer over to spaghetti coders read bad programming at MIT during the 60's/70's) This seems to have died out there before the 80's (but may have stayed alive in the mind of on RMS..hes the source of all the trouble). Independently in the early 80's both the teens playing with modems and they guys trying to keep them out of systems coined the term "to hack” to mean an attempt to break into a system over a modem (you beat on a system looking for holes, similar to hacking at a door with an ax..most early intrusions where brute force or dumb luck) and so the term Hacker in a security sense was born, a Hacker is someone who hacks at a system in an attempt to find a way in.

Now in the 90's with the explosion of the net and Linux one RMS got some popularity and tried to revive the old MIT meaning of the word (it had been long dead and forgotten) With the help of some USNET groups and /. he has been somewhat successful in the geek community but has failed else where.

As some one who was on both sides of the early hacking world I think this is very unfortunate that the Linux geeks claim the media has stolen the word "hacker"..it wasn't the media that first used it in a security context. We used it in our culture independent of the bad programmers, and as the term died in the programming culture but stayed alive in the security culture thus it should be the current definition.

It is also interesting to note that "Cracker" has always had a bad connotation, originally it was "oh he’s just a cracker" meaning that the person just broke copy protection on programs and pirated software.

Also note that 133t speak didn't originate with the hackers of the 80's, but with the ANSI art clans (who where basically script kiddies who could draw pictures with letters...they thought that this made them hardcore hackers). That is something that has at least stayed true, it was used by the posers of the 80's and now its used by the posers of today.

Man I miss the BBS days, come back Rusty and Edie

So ends the history lesson

[/Old Man Rant]

Ascii Art was pretty Kewl

L33t Talk and Ascii Art were pretty Kewl,

Check out the HTML attatchment.

I am still sticking by the definition of hacker in the essay. I prefer it to all others and it does give a specific name to people with good Computer and English skills as well as a positive and enquisitive mental attitude.

In short, If hacker isn't the name for people like us then what is the word ?

I admit the y where useful for makeing splash screens for the bord, but that was it...and they allways wanted into the preivet forums/fidonet fourms in exchange.

ok maybe i misunderstood something but someone was saying something was NOT created by hackers, involving the internet. Free BSD hackers created TCP\IP, isnt that enough? damn.

BUt at the time they where not callig themselfs hackers

Also note that the internet was created from arpnet/millnet created by mostly worthwhile programmers (not the BSD guys)
    also note that the BSD guys didn't create tcp/ip, the paper outlineing it was written in 1974 (forgot by who, one of the AT&T guys), it was first implamented in 1977, IP was added in 1978, and then in 1984 the UCB version was intorduced (it added some security features), it became the standared mostly because you didn't have t opay a royelty to use it.

Also note that the great schism hadn't happend yet so there where no free/open/ BSD guys it was just BSD.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Yeah i have read that too. It was in HappyHacker i believe. I could be wrong though.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)