Thread: Proxy Server

Proxy Server

Dear Friends:
    I need to connect a red hat linux box to the proxy server for internet, what are settings need to be done , please advice
    regards
    prem

Individual applications have to be configured to use the proxy, not the OS itself...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

to follow on from Ammo.... (and he's correct you have to set up individual apps - assuming you can already ping the proxy ok) if for example your using Konqueror go to the tools and there should be a tab for proxy servers somewhere near the bottom of the list of preferances.... it's then a case of manually entering the settings for the proxy server i.e. the IP address of the proxy server and the port on the proxy server that you have to direct HTTP/HTTPS/FTP etc requests to. Note that the proxy server may not be - and probably isn't- using default ports for say HTTP requests (which is port 80 and 8080 if you don't already know), so check what ports the server will accept for your requests.

hope that helps

Z
    [edit] why the hell is this thread negative?? Seemed a reasonable enough question and it's in the right forum I guess.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

You may need to use a Socks proxy service if you are using an M$ Proxy server like ISA Server 2000. I have yet to get it to work by changing the http proxy settings in the Netscape browser - it may just be the fact that it's Netscape??? What kind of proxy server are you trying to connect to?
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I want to connect to a winproxy