0 0%
  • Not Much

3 37.50%
  • Why did you wast your time

3 37.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Securest Windows OS

you would vote DOS over XENIX??

I'd have to say Windows 95.... and before ya jump on me let me explain this..

You install 95, disable the cancel button at the login prompt, remove the floppy drive and the cd-rom, create one user with a rather large password, Remove any network cards and modems, weld the case shut, password protect the BIOS and boot. Now for the kicker, lock it in a safe deposit box at a bank....

I dont' think you could get more secure and since you used 95, it makes 95 the most secure OS.. however I suppose you could use another OS.. but I figured 95 was the most humourous to use.

not more than using Windows ME.

Originally posted here by gore
    not more than using Windows ME.
    I want it to at least keep running..

lol, good point man.

I was going to come in with a deep and meaningful statement.. Now I am too busy laughing.. thanks HTRegz.. I dunno if it was your 95 post or the Me comment..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

"But, with a Microsoft platform, if they don't create the patch there won't be one and you can't have an OS on business-critical systems with known vulnerabilities for which there is no patch. "

This statement is not entirely true. One cannot do any source code editing, for sure. but this does not preclude someone with knowledge of c0de such as c and assembler from writing fix for problem. person as steve gibson, maybe example here. if one knows what virus or exploit does, one can fix problem without source of operating system. people write applications for os without source etc etc..also I cannot agree with death of NT statement or the fact that if NT's source is released it would compromise 2K as stated earlier in this thred. 2K and NT are written in 2 different Languages. This leads to major differences in OS. NT cannot be released because of NTFS, that I can say yes. But not because of other statement earlier.

Please correct my assumption if incorrect. While working on Oracle, a senior programmer tells me something i like to think holds true, the cars may differ, different vehicles get one from point of departure to point of destination. whether or not m$ or *nix, both have plusses and minusses

XP Pro secure my vote

It has to be DOS 3.3,

Just about when it got fully functional? but way before any skiddies were born? I have it running on an HP Vectra VS12..............a 286 with a 20 Mb HDD............and "Word for DOS 1.0"

It is a well cool box, as the 5.25" floppy drive understands 1.2Mb disks?.........but the modem is a let down, as it only dials up at 14.4

The guys who throw trash round here left it for me a few years back; the guy who wanted rid of it said it "wasn't year 2000 compliant"..........this thing must have cost around $3500 when it was new..........it became Y2K compliant when I replace the CMOS battery it has a four digit clock.

When I get round to it I might put the 52Mb drive in it?

This kind of stuff has to be invulnerable, because so few of them are left..........there would not be the platform for anyone to write malware on.......anyways my Norton AV will protect me..........it will detect and eradicate 762 virii (seven hundred and sixty-two)
    A little bit of history...I thought that it might amuse?

Cheers

hi all,
    i dont have much experience in this field, but as far as my knowledge says, win 2k server is the secure one as it is really hard to crack...
    rest u people know better...

Riya
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

My favourite is 2000 use XP @ home, the worse OS ever was Windows 95 it was so f**king stupid, on laptops for example it always tried to use IRQ channel 10 for 3com PCMICA cards even if this was in use. Then if you tried to manually change it, it just went nuts. I spend so much time to do a 5 minutes that ended up taken a whole afternoon. So I really hate 95 as much as I hate M$ Corpse.

BTW I never had a problem with ME it is my fav 4 playing games.