Partition Magic 8.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition Magic 8.0

Partition Magic 8.0

Ok i got Partition Magic 8.0 because i want to put a version of linux on my computer along with my already installed Windows ME. Im kinda confused howto use this program i think the first step is to creat a new patition? I only want about 4-5 Gigs to be running linux or something like that. Any help would be great!
    Hacker dan

Dont forget to make a swap file space, and choose extended partition for your linux.

That's the same route I went. Some things to remember:
    1. Create partition magic rescue disks
    2. Make sure you have set your system to boot from whatever install media you have. Most likely, it is a iso cd. Therefore, make sure you have your computer set up to boot from cd BEFORE the hard drive.
    3. Make the swap file about double your ram. If you have 512 or a full gig, then a 512 swap would probably do. (for linux)
    4. Defrag your hard drive before you do anything. Otherwise, fragmented data might be lost when you carve out your partition.
    5. Backup your windows if you have anything you can't live without.

ok, you dont need to create emergentcy disks if you do it right.

this is designed for partition magic 7.0 but im sure the principals are the same:

1) defrag your hard drive to the beginning of your partition.
    2) run PM(partition magic) and resize your hdd, making the unallocated how much you want for linux
    3) once thats done, you will have your original partition (win ME) and an un allocated space
    4) right click the unallocated space and create partition. there will be an option on which file system you want, choose linux. this will automatically create the ext. for that partition (leave about 1.5 - 2 GB (depending on size of drive) unallocated.
    5) with the unallocated space, create partition and make a linux swap space.
    6) now you should have your original partition (win ME) abliet smaller. and an ext. partition CONTAINING the the linux partition, and the linux swap. once this is done. reboot your computer.
    7) once you rebooted, you can restart with the linux cd and boot from there.

When you are installing linux, and it asks you what partitions you want to use and what do you want to delete. tell it to make partitions automatically. it will pick up the one you made and everything will be sweet.

good luck.

and before you uninstall, i suggest you check back with us... thats when you can do some real damage.!!
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Don't forget about the option called PowerQuest Bootmagic 8.0 !

shakira, you dont need any boot managers. linux installs its own boot loader... either lilo or grub, depending on which you choose.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Thanks

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Many recent linux distro's like RH7, 8, ... will install in the unallocated space without problems. So just defrag your drive, start partition magic, make some unallocated space where on the next stage the linux installer will create it's own partitions, this way you will not have trouble with making swap and stuff yourself. There are only 2 negative things about this: 1) you have to trust on the installer, you cannot choose size f partitions yourself, 2) if you choose the wrong installation mode your box will be fuxored... anyway read the linux installation guide of your distro before you are at that point
    My experience is that a dual boot with Win9x and RH or any other common linux distro like SuSe, Mandrake, ... is not difficult to set up.

Trust not, you know way more than me, and everything you said is correct, but as a linux newbie myself I still think it is a good idea for a newb to create the partition magic rescue disks. If they do it right, yes, they will not be needed. But if they forget to change their bios (like I did) or they don't have the boot magic option installed, they could experience problems.
    My machine came pre-loaded and didn't even have a windows recovery or boot disk. When I used pm, the machine "hung" on reboot because pm will set the new partition as active by default if you use its "add an os" wizard". The rescue disks saved me by allowing me to set the old windows partition as active, and then pop in my mandrake disks. I believe many machines are now not set to boot from the cd when they come off the shelf, like mine.
    Anyway, just a thought because hackerdan seems like he has never done this before and like victorkaum said he might not feel comfortable with the installer, etc., and might want to use pm for the process.

Just as a mental note, i never by a preloaded machine. in fact, i buy my machine in lots of tiny bits. that way i make sure everything is done properly... and it runs smooth for a very long time... unlike preloaded machines with crash and burn after a week
    ----Homer J Simpson----