Windows 2003 Server!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2003 Server!!!

Arrow Windows 2003 Server!!!

Anybody checked this OS out or actually has a copy if this OS??

yeah, I signed up for there beta, so I have a copy, and have it installed and have been playing with it
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

Yea

Yea at work we are a Microsoft partner so we picked up Windows .NET Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (friggin long name) from Redmond. I figured 'what the hell' and took it home and installed. It's like Windows 2000 but with all the features turned off. You can't even add a network printer without turning the service to enable it on, it's disabled by default. The default Windows sounds are turned off as well. The do lock it down as far as the services go. It needs some polishing in certain areas such as graphics cards. It turns your hardware acceleration down to next to nothing so you have to crank it up. XP and 2000 drivers have worked for the hardware it didn't have drivers for. All around think 2000 look with XP features and a ton of more configuration option for servers. But it does have a problem with alot of the Microsoft server based software such as SQL server. I don't run any of those because it's on my personal PC. But, I have run into quirks. Good link if you need help for some problems is - http://home.triad.rr.com/faq/WNS2003%20FAQ.htm. Hope this helps a bit.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

The Iceman Cometh
    I have the full Enterprise Edition running on one of my local intranet servers (it's currently part of a test network since I have been having a number of compatibility problems with my workstations and other servers, not to metion incompatilibility with Exchange Server 2000, which severly hinders my ability it deploy it across my network). I got it with my Universal MSDN subscription (which I just signed up for recently), and I've been very happy with it so far. It's nice to have an OS which has a lot of features locked-down by default. I plan to deploy it across my network once SP1 has been released, and Exchange 2003 has been released and I have thoroughly tested the two.

AJ

Just Another Geek
    I downloaded a copy of a 6 in 1 version. Look around usenet. It gets posted fairly often.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have heard that It dosn't play nice with others (NT and 2k) can any one verify this?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, from what I hear, AD1.0 and AD2.0 do not play nice together. I will be testing just how bad this condition is within the next week or two.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

That is also what I hard, we dont have any space left in our testing lab (hell we haven't fulley oked AD 1.0 yet) so let us know how they interact.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Will do - I will post a complete anaylysis along with all settings, services, etc. We have to do this anyway so I will be more than happy to share the knowledge. Feel free to conduct a second test if you like. That should add additional credibility to my findings.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Sonic, download the enterprise ISO from microsoft here
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../x09-22207.iso