Hard Drive Backup

Thread: Hard Drive Backup

Hard Drive Backup

I'm re-partitioning my hard drive and I need some HD backup software. I plan on burning it to CD-Rs. What do you suggest?
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

how big is the drive you are backing up (ie how much actual user data do you need to preserve?), the most cost effective way to do it would be just to zip it or use some form of compression on the data that will give a good comp. ratio and then just burn the whole lot to cd's

of course you would have to make each compressed volume file a bit smaller than the cd to allow for file system overhead and that kinda thing, but that is the cheapest way i can think of, if this drive is rather large you could always use another hard drive if you have one lying around roughly the same size, if not try www.tucows.com they have a good range of backup / compressino software, some of it is shareware or freeware, you may have som eluck there

I use a program called Drive Image (its not free). I'm not sure if it is what you need as this program copys everything including your C:windows folder and the registry. Its used more as a backup in case your computer goes down.

I haven't played around witht this software a lot but I believe you can specifiy which files you want backed up also.
    =

There use to be a bit of software called ezdrive. I sitll have it on floppy its great, but I don't know if its still avalibil
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you have a CD Burner and Nero, you could always use Nero's HD Bacup utility. It works the same way as Norton Ghost ie, it makes a sector by sector copy of your hard disk.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Thanks guys, you've helped a heap. I tested out Drive Image at the local computer shop, I will probably buy it. I have Nero, but it doesn't support NTFS v3.1. Also, EZ-Drive is a bios hard drive tool, for motherboards that don't support anything bigger than 504MB. Unless you're talking about something else, of course. Either way, I was looking for that too, so you helped me indirectly. Thanks all.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates