invisible OS

Thread: invisible OS

The Recidivist

invisible OS

I have a dual boot of XP/Red Hat w/ Grub as my boot manager. How can I set it up where XP automatically boots and I would have to put ina disk for Linux to boot. ANyone have any ideas?

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Create a Floppy with Grub or Lilo on it, then run fdisk /mbr of fixmbr in windows XP that will blow out grub on the HD....Make sure you have all the settings for grub correct and that the floppy works before you blow out grub on the HD

The Recidivist
    Okay, thanks for the help bballad. Going to try it now.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

You don't have to put a bootloader on the disk... you could also use the boot disk you created during your Linux install... or create a linux bootdisk..... and just boot directly off that, rather than using the bootloader on a floppy.

The Recidivist
    HTRegz, how do i make a linux boot disk?

hjack
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    there should be an option in one of the pull down menus to do it ,if i remember correctly and you are using a recent rh release

Senior since the 3 dot era

mkbootdisk

Howto make a boot floppy for RedHat linux without using the fancy menus?
    Well, first find the kernel version, next you can tell the mkbootdisk command to make a boot disk.
    Go to a terminal window at the prompt type:

su
    cd /lib/modules
    ls

the command ls will list the directory contents, here you can find the kernel version of your rh system. It will be something like 2.z.x-yy replace the z, x and y with the version number.
    Insert a floppy in your floppydrive.
    Tell the mkbootdisk command which kernel to copy and where to find the floppy.

mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.z.x-yy