nbtsta help

Thread: nbtsta help

nbtsta help

Ok, After connecting to a person in AIM, and using the nbtstat command in dos, how do I translate what si shown into an IP adress?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Ok, After connecting to a person in AIM, and using the nbtstat command in dos, how do I translate what si shown into an IP adress?
    You naughty boi. When connected to a user on AIM, you should see an IP address with an established connection. What does it say when you use netstat -a?

First off... I hope you are using this knowledge for good... or else you know the consequences of your actions.

When you are connected to someone in AIM you would do a netstat to find out the IP. Not nbtstat. This would have to be a direct connect, or else you will just return the the AIM server.

nbtstat is the netbios tool.
    I would use netstat -an to find all connections and the listening ports.
    (I say -an so you can find the correct IP easier. If you have multiple connections... how do you know which one it is? You look for the ones on or near the AIM port)

nbtstat will give you services, machine name and user account logged in.

say I have ip address 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and I do

nbtstat -a 127.0.0.1

you will come up with a bunch of stuff (unless they have disabled netbios if they were smart)

match up the hex codes with the services.

here is a decent list.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

State your purpose or die like the rest! haha, yeah, you're using the wrong tool if you are looking for an IP address. nbtstat -c will, however, give you the netbios name and IP mapping in your name table. For help with the commands and switches/options, just type something like "nbtstat /?" or "netstat /?" Netbios resolution will probably not work for the remote host - you won't have a hostname, and it's probably not allowed anyway. Netstat, however, will give you the state of the connection at the time the command is executed, along with the IP addy and the port(s) connected.

Another tool you could use so that you can view this information in real-time would be TCPView from the Sysinternals website. They have other cool tools to check out that are also free.

Anyways, live long and prosper, but seek knowledge without malice.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Thanks everyone for the info. It helped me alot.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com