Thread: Newbie Question on Forums

Newbie Question on Forums

Hello all, I'm a newbie in here. For the last hour I been looking around here. So far it look good to me.

My question is, which one of these forums would point me in the right direction on learning how to be a admin on windows box?

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I use to work for a E-compay as the computer tech. I would build computers and load software. But now I have to look for other job and most companies need admin for /NT/2000pr & Server.

I know how load the software but to maintain is its a little big different. So I'm trying to learn more and more. So if anyone has a good idea which forums I should check out here let me know.

At home I'm running a win98 box plus a win2000 pro box. Right now Im building a linux box that is going to be running red hat 9 ... I look forward to that...

Thank you for all the good help

Louie
    Just trying to learn as much as I can

The Iceman Cometh
    I would suggest narrowing down exactly what you want to learn (and in what order). Once you have that decided, start using the Forum Search. There is no one forum which will answer all of the questions you may have. Instead, the answers are most likely spread across a number of the forums. Also, check out the Tutorials forum You may find some information you're looking for there.

AJ

Thank you for taking the time on replying to my post. Well what I would like to learn is more about win2000 pro & server NT/DNS/TCP-IP/ Security/ plus how to setup a domain name. That's what most companies are looking for from what I have seen.

What kind of search should I do on this board. like the phrase I use look under?

I'm also started reading a couple of books. For me I like to start from the bottom up. Right now I'm reading a book called "MCSA for dummies" There are 5 books in 1 .

Plus I have some other books too on securtiy, plus some linux books too.

Louie

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Louis,

Give a try to our Microsoft Security Forum. That sounds like the one you'd be looking for in regards to general Microsoft security stuff. As you get into more specific issues, you might want to look an other forums. The search feature is a little wacko at times and sometimes only works for single words or two words.

The other option would be to post in the specific forum, asking a specific question e.g., IDS forum: I've setup Snort on Windows. How do I do remote logging? etc. If you're not sure, plop the question into the Newbie Security Forum. Someone is bound to answer.

Hope that helps.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hello linuxluis, and welcome to antionline...

I remember when I first started out here I had some of the same questions that you have about where to go and how to find it, when I want to know about a specific topic what I usually do if I am here is use keywords in my search and also if that doesn't work out well, look in specific formus where you think that the topic might be posted. Also the tutorials forum is a great resource for finding information on a myriad of topics.

However, even though this site is an invaluable resource for information I would also recommend searching the web for other information as well, there are plenty of other resources as well as this that also deserve exploring.

If you have any kind of question though, on anything relative to this site, don't hesitate to ask. I can't begin to tell how many times I've been helped out by the people here, there is plenty of great guidence here so don't hesitate.

As for some of the topics that you want to learn about I strongly recommend Counter Hack, by Ed Skoudis, it gives lots of info on the topics you mentioned. Heh heh I've recommended that book so many times, heh heh but it really is a great source.

Good luck in your search..

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

To add to the others answers, if your willing to buy any of the microsoft certified professional books, they cover just about everything you will need to know about windows 2000 server, professional, and and advanced server. Google search and this site can complament that by teaching you how to better secure the windows operating systems.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Like ease said i would recommend goin out a buying a book and start reading. Beacuse on here there is no way that we are goin to be able to tell you everything you need to know. Later -Twisted-

Banned
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...readid=243809i think u'll find something interesting here ...since there are free books on everything

**** EaseZE ****

Thank you very much for helping me out. Would you happen to have the ISBN number for those books? It would really help me out.

**** MemorY ***

Thank you very much for the url. I found it really good. Plus it has some linux books. That's my next tasks.

THank you all once again for helping me out.

Louie

Banned
    no problem