Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 2000

windows 2000

i want to install win 2000 from dos and it doesn't work .
    some one to help??
    toured

Need more info..
    Got a cdrom, what type of dos is it ?
    Missing em ol BBS' days!
    Virtus - Splashgame.org

Are you booting your PC from the CD? That should work?

Are you using the boot disks or install from CD? If the cd won't boot, you can create boot disks from the CD-ROM. If you can't do that, you can download boot disks.

After you have got your boot disks or CD to boot, then you press F8 to agree and follow the on screen prompts. Insallations vary becasue people may only want to use part of their drive and will need to create separate partitions.

You may want to check out M$'s HOW TO on technet.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You can either set boot from CD in the bios or you should be able to browse the CD in DOS and go to the \boot directory where you have the makeboot.exe (16 bit systems) or makeboot32.exe (32 bit systems) if you want to make some floppies to boot from.

Simply, reboot the computer. Press F1 or DEL. Enter BIOS Settings and change Boot Sequence from A:/C:/CDROM to CDROM/C:/A:.SAVE and EXIT BIOS. Rebooting with the WINY2k cd in the tray, should do the trick.

Kindly,

[blur]Ciwdus[/blur]

If you are trying to install from DOS then I asume you are trying to run the setup file from the CDROM and recieving some kind of error, such as: cannot run in DOS mode.

If you can make your CD-ROM bootable as others have explained above then this is the easiest course of action.

If you can't then try the setup disks as mentioned above.

If that doesn't work because your CD-ROM is not suported by the drivers provided with the startup disks. Then you could try re-partitioning and copying the contents of the CD-ROM to a partition and then making that pataition bootable. (Note file copy might not work, sugest you use a disk cloning utility). WARNING this way is tricky and repartitioning will DELETE any existing data on the disk be warned. But as a last resort.

WaveRebel

The Iceman Cometh
    There's another way to install Windows 2000 via DOS, if you can't boot off of the CD or want to make boot disk. Start by booting into DOS via a Win 9x boot floppy, selecting "Boot with CD-ROM Support". Once it's booted, cd into the i386 directory. Next, run "winnt". That'll start the installation process by copying all of the files to your hard drive and installing from there. I suggest you also place Smartdrv on your boot floppy and run that before executing winnt, because otherwise the file copy process will take a very long time.

AJ

Talking

i do agree with avdven you probably don't have any other M$ based operating system
    and you are trying to install windows 2000 from cd but you get this error saying
    "this setup can not run in dos",to install windows 2000 while you don't have 98
    or another version of windows boot from a boot disk then copy all the windows2000
    files to one of your drives (i do not recommend copying it to c:)then find a folder
    with the name i386 , run winnt and that is it .....

thank you all for your help you are good people really.and thanx to every one who want to help the newbies .

redouan
    toured