Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOS Windows ME

dsteven: yeah thats it....i think windows needs a nice packet inspection firewall while i think linux needs a nice basic application level firewall. i think these types of firewalls grow out because how the OS is structured.

"If so, which one (cos I was told win ME is less vulnerable
    for DOS's than the other versions of windows 9x)?"

For anyone who uses ME and doesn't know

If you ever get infected by a virus or trojan horse make sure 1st you disable
    Windows ME restore feature before cleaning your system because
    the virus or trojan horse will be backed up in your _restore folder and
    re-installed on your computer not good Here's the instructions for
    disabling it I found it in my desk under a ton of papers from symantec:

To disable Windows Me System Restore:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialog box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options"
    to display it.

Click the Performance tab, and then click File System.
    The File System Properties dialog box will appear.
    Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check
    Disable System Restore.

Click OK, and then click Close. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.
    Follow the instructions--for example, troubleshooting or virus removal--that instructed
    you to disable System Restore.

When all instructions have been completed, enable System Restore
    again by following the instructions in the next section.

To enable Windows Me System Restore:
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click System, and then click the Performance tab.
    Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.
    Uncheck Disable System Restore.

Click OK, and then click Close. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

I

don't get entirely concerned with ME crashing all the time. that's almost like one of its features.

ME is a great operating system for gaming, due to its speed. however, on the flipside, it is very unstable. my friend had it on his box, and it took him something like 22 seconds to boot up, while it took me a good 45 seconds or so with win2k. then again, i go through GRUB and boot.ini to select my OS

i still run win2k, despite its poor gaming support. i can run what i need to, and the system only crashes when my brother touches it
    i will shoot you so hard.

i really dont see the problem with nt kernel and its gaming support. unless of course you are running those games that can only be run in DOS mode then you get problems

Well i dont think it is a DOS attack on you, i personally had alot of problems with ME stability wise. I think it is the problem in your case.

Cheers
    antisecurityboy

Question DOS attack

If a DOS attack happens check your system/network and use Scan/Defrag to do it.

I've installed "internet security 2003" and it has stopped, so I gues it were DOS'ses.
    Problem solved now.
    thanks all for your help.
    André.

Sounds like you're talking about WinNuke type attacks.. -snicker- I don't think thats the cause.. Most often the cause of a crash is a fault of the hardware itself. I've had this happen to me, it all depends on the reason it says, is it "Page fault.. dumping physical memory" or some sort? or just another "blue screen" I reccomend you write down the message (if you can) because maybe its just a matter of missing files or something simple like that.

I hope this helps.. Good luck.