Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with linux

Elite Hacker
    No, I just download straight through internet explorer. Also, I think you misunderstood my last question. I wanted to know if the md5sum program was messed up because I checked the same program twice getting a different sum each time. Is this supposed to happen?

hmm sorry... I don't know if your md5 prog is messed up - I don't use the toast one myself, so I can only speculate in this instance. but you are supposed to get the same md5 sum for the iso every time you check the md5 - so either the iso you have d/l is screwy or the toast md5sum prog is screwy. However by logical extension - I would say the iso is screwy because if the md5 prog was screwed it wouldn't run in the first place. if it's of any help or if you want to try another md5 checker, I use this myself

http://www.md5summer.org/

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Elite Hacker
    Yeah, I just downloaded that md5summer today and it does the same thing so it must be the iso that is screwed up. Or maybe when you check the sum it changes it but probably not.
    Thanks for the replies.

edit
    I just did the verify with md5summer for redhat 9 that i just downloaded and none of the sums matched. I don't think anything I've downloaded has a correct sum. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need a download manager. Can anyone recommend a download manager or give me any advice as to what's going wrong?
    Thank you

I just want to verify what you are doing here , you should be running the checksum program on the iso image that you dowloaded , it should match exactly , the checksum that is posted at the ftp site where you dowloaded the image from . I would figure that if you are doing that and they are not matching it may be something in your internet explorer's ftp ?, I would go to www.downloads.com find their ftp programs and pick a free one that has the highest rating and use it to download another iso image and try the checksum again , if all else fails and you are set on red hat 9 pm me your address and a solem pledge to donate 5-10$ to amnesty international or isolinux and i will mail you the 3 iso's ,as i have them and don't plan on installing it again (freebsd is my new love) edit- when i say iso image i don't mean the burnt disk i mean the actual dowloaded image

Elite Hacker
    Well, I downloaded an ftp program. Then, I redownloaded redhat 9 and the md5sum. Then, i did the verify sum with md5summer and still none of them matched. Also, I tried just creating two sums in a row again from the same file and they were different. How can the sum change.
    Maybe I'll just try it from another computer. Anyways, thanks to all who put in their two cents with my ordeal. Am I the only one in the world with this problem?
    edit
    What's wrong with my iso. It it gives me a different sum each time.