Hello. I have a question about a suspicious attachment

Thread: Hello. I have a question about a suspicious attachment

Question Hello. I have a question about a suspicious attachment

In one of my Yahoo Groups today, I saw an attachment that was "IMSTP.GIF"

I didn't open it, of course, (I'm new to the boards, but not to security), but I just would like to know what it is. Web searches on it are not helpful what-so-ever.

Is it some sort of web bug? If so, I'm afraid to report it to Yahoo as they may take the entire group down.

what makes you suspicious about it? it would appear from the name to be a .gif file... i.e. similar to a jpg - it's a picture. In and of itself it should be fine - UNLESS it has a hidden extension on it. e.g. .vbs, .exe, .bat etc I don't think it would be a problem but I would be cautious all the same if it has given you cause for concern. You might want to download it to floppy disk and check it with a virus scanner and a trojan scanner BEFORE you open the file - a virus can't hurt you until you actually open the file or run it as a program

[edit]... I've done a quick search on google for the file... if the one you are looking at is about 494 bytes in size - then the gif will be a flasing envelope icon.... commonly attached to emails by the Incredimail email client - it's not anything to worry about if it is the same size - but of course it is easy to rename files... check the files size of that gif before you do anything else
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Google turned up a bit on this, I think you may find its a little picture of an envelope that has been sent in via someones html enabled mail client .... maybe Incredimail ??

It's a picture, don't worry about it.

me, got the same file this morning, this was only a gif file mate, an orange envelope which blinkling many times , nothing has wrong with that.

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

Usually, it's pretty hard (although far from impossible) to attach anything malicious to a picture file of any sort. If you're worried about attachments, AVG is giving away a free version of it's virus scanner right now - http://www.grisoft.com

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Thumbs up nothing to worry

Hai friend!

Nothing to worry if the extension of the file is only .gif if it prolongs as .gif.vbs /.gif.exe or any sort of dual extentions plz scan it perfectly on different avs.And u didnt specified the size of the file .If u see the file size is around 700-900 kb better think twice to open it or jst remove it from ur comp and be tension freeeee.