Thread: DAT file extensions

Question DAT file extensions

I just received a CD-R disk from Iraq with 200 pix on it THAT I CAN'T OPEN because no program on my 'puter for images recognizes the files. HELP ME....they're pictures of my son, who's in the Army......HELP again

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I don't know much about this but an ask jeeves, followed by a google search shows that the .dat files you are trying to look at may be kazaa type files. www.kazaagold.com

worth a try.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Dead Man Walking
    right click on the files then goto "open with" use the picture and fax viewer if you are using XP. Im not sure about other O.S's . make sure you scan the disk first witha good av prog

your son kills ppl because for that idiotic redneck bush ... i hope you are proud

Hmm. thats strange. .dat files are normally data files that are used by other programs that store settings, databases, etc.

normally if they were pictures, they would be in a

.gif, .bmp, .tiff, .jpeg etc.

As a matter of fact... i just came across a little something that said that some email programs convert images to .dat files.. why in the hell would they want to do that?!

oh well... here is the link
    http://www.gotquestions.com/xs/seeDo...documentID=696

Change its name to have the correct extension. (For example, if the files name is something.dat and you think its a powerpoint file, change it to something.ppt. If the file's name is something.jpg.dat, then you should probably make it something.jpg.)
    I was curious and I tested it. I took a picture and renamed it from test.jpeg to test.dat
    since my .dat files are associated with wordpad... when I tried to open it, I got junk.

I then told it to open it using picture viewer and then paint. Both picture viewer and paint worked.

I tried renaming it with several other extension too... .bmp, .tiff, .png and all of them worked.

The file extension chenged but the format stayed the same.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey cybernetic take you problems into a different forum.

As far as the picture files go I would try to open the file in paint. Just make sure that when when the open file dialog box pops up you select all files. I hope this helps.
    =

soon i'm gonna be banned anyway ... so **** you... i'm right.

Just to let people know. I did not neg cybernetic becuase of his opinion. As a matter of fact. I didn't even neg him.
    =