Thread: AO site FAQ quiz

AO site FAQ quiz

Its quite apparent that some/most newbies to this site don't read the FAQs.

These FAQs are pointed out time and time again and even mentioned when joining.

I know it might be a pain in the arse... but what if... and this is a BIG WHAT IF.

What if all newbies have to take a site FAQ quiz in order to start posting?

Several members have written great FAQs that go unread until it is too late.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243267

the thread above would be a good start.

VictorKaum went through and gave some great links and recommended reading for newbies.

After reading all said material, they would have to take a quiz/test based on the AO "rules".
    They'd have to get a certain score to start posting.

AO is a privledge, not a right. Lets start making people earn the privledge to post.

What does anyone else think? Dumb idea?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hello.

AO is a privledge, not a right. Lets start making people earn the privledge to post.
    Sweet choice of words.

The idea has something...something that might be interesting in a way. Just.... wouldnt it scare some serious people away if they are dragged through a lameness test? Just a thought, never the less, a neat idea.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Just.... wouldnt it scare some serious people away if they are dragged through a lameness test?
    Maybe, but maybe not.

My thinking is... these newbies that don't read the FAQs and just start posting come here for one reason. They typed in "hacking" into google or other search engine and came back with AO. They have a question they want answered without doing any research for themselves and don't want to apply themselves to solve their problem. Any of the innapropritate ?s that are asked could be solved with a little creativity and technical knowhow and/or common sense. All of which can be easily found/dreamed up (not the common sense).

If someone more serious came to this site and had to read the FAQs and take a short quiz, like on which types of posts are appropriate, which forums to post in, acceptable language and "humor". etc. They're probably be happy to. They would know that they'd see less crap than they see in all the other BB forums and that kiddie behavior is not accepted @ AO.

Ah well, seemed like a good idea at first.

Anyone else have any ideas/opinions?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I understand. The idea is nice. Would be cool if together with a few other respected members this can be done. Oh my, my english today is real bad.

How about a Q&A on why they want to join, kinda like:

Why do you wish to join?

1 - To learn how to hack
    2 - To learn and contribute how to secure a system
    3 - To get into other peoples hotmails

This would be cool in addition with what you have mentioned bout how to use the site. Just a though.

Anyways, sounds cool.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

instronics's 3-questioned poll is a very good idea, I was just about to suggest something like that myself. That wouldn't take more than 10 seconds to complete and would handily filter out some "unwanted material" from joining.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

1 - To learn how to hack
    2 - To learn and contribute how to secure a system
    3 - To get into other peoples hotmails
    Like the idea, but I think even script kiddies would wise to it fairly quickly and just choose the second option (especially after their accounts weren't activated).

The problem is that anything too long will put people off, but anything short will allow people to just keep trying and trying until they register (you could block multiplw submissions from the same IP, but then you'd really annoy people like me, who are on a network behind a single static IP address with a proxy).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

That's a great idea Phish. Some kind of rule understanding confirmation should be implemented.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com