Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove Linux

Remove Linux

This is just a quick tutorial on how to remove a Linux partition and boot loader from a dual boot system. The tool I will be using, the Power Quest Partition Magic 7.0.

Let’s just say that your system is a RedHat8.0 and Windows XP

Okay, so you have created a Linux partition, installed a boot loader and now you want to get rid of it and possible go back to windows. But, you don’t want to loose any info that you have on your windows partition.

The first thing that you will want to do is delete the partition. DO NOT do this. Usually, and this depends on the boot loader, if you delete the partition before the boot loader, the system will halt and wont go anywhere because when it gets to the boot loader it cant find what its looking for. I.e., the Kernel and other critical files so you need to delete the boot loader first.

Now, because we are talking about Win XP, it makes things a lot easier by making use of its ‘repair console’ which can be accessed best by the install disk for windows. If your bios is set to load from the CD before the HDD, then the boot loader will be ignored and it will boot into the XP CD. From there, follow the on-screen directions until is requires you to press ‘R’ to get into the recovery console. Do so, and choose the windows partition you want to access. If you only have 1 windows partition, just press 1. you will be required to input the administrators password if there is one.

This password is not the password used for an ‘administrator’ account in XP, but the ‘core’ password if I may. Then it will bring up a command prompt. Type this in the corresponding order:

Fix mbr
    Fix boot

Ok, the fix mbr (Master Boot Record) repairs and removes anything written to the boot sector of your HDD. So, your boot information will be gone. This mean that the boot loader is gone. But, so is the info that boot your comp into windows. That is what the second command is for. Fix Boot restores the boot sector to what it would look like after windows was installed. However, if the boot loader was not deleted first, then it would not work. Make sure you place both commands in that order. The exit the CD menu following the prompt.

Once in windows, you can use Partition Magic to delete the Linux partition. Don’t worry about having to boot into partition magic through the boot disks, as the partition you are deleting has nothing to do with the active partition (windows).

The resize your windows partition to which ever you want, and then you will need to restart you computer. Once this is done, you will be all ready to go.
    Ah, yes, divorce......., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man\'s genitals through his wallet.

--Robin Williams

Nice, short and sweet :^D

Slight error here. The commands are fixboot and fixmbr, not fix mbr and fix boot. Apart from that, everything else will work nicely.

Another thing worth noting is that you don't actually need any partition managing software if you don't want to resize your boot partition. All the tools needed are supplied with windows. With XP and 2000, you can just go to control panel, administrative tools, disk management to delete the Linux partitions. With Win9x, the only tool you need is a bootable floppy disk with fdisk on it. Boot from the disk, and type fdisk/mbr to remove the bootloader, then just use fdisk to remove the linux partitions and create a new DOS partition.

yea, i know you dont NEED the tools. but it sure makes things a hell of alot easier. hehe, and yea. maybe my spacing thumbs got carried away on the commands... i knew what was happening... glad someone could pick it up though
    Ah, yes, divorce......., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man\'s genitals through his wallet.

--Robin Williams

nice info thanks...

What if it was the other way around ?? I mean if you would like to remove windows xp instead of linux ???

I have a dual boot win xp and RH9 using Grub for boot loader, I want to format and reinstall win xp but i'm afraid the mbr will get messed up, how can i do this ??

TIA

sanriver12> I'm not familiar with partitioning tools under Linux. But I assume you can safely format your Windows partition with a tool like Diskdruid (You have normally already meet it when you had installed RH9). Or even maybe with Partition Magic if you use Boot disks created by it.
    During the re-installation you wil simply have to specify in which partition Windows must be installed.
    For the boot manager, it will be overwrited by Windows installation. so, you will have to boot on Linux from a boot disk and to execute the following command in a shell:
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/hda
    If your hdd is called 'hda'. What is normally the case.

KC
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

sanriver12

im not sure if i understand. but if your asking that you want to format your windows partition, without messing up your mbr, and keeping linux.

ok, me being very slack. this is what i would do.

in dos (cant format active partition in windows) use fdisk and format the windows partition (usually c: if you intalled windows first). two partitions on 1 hdd will be show to each have there own drive letter under dos.

install windows (this will remake mbr) then when you finished be real lazy and use the linux boot disks to recreate the mbr. this will be quick and automatic (mostly) and you dont have to use any command prompts and commands.

if you need any more detailed help just pm me.

Thanks

--Robin Williams

thanks for the info guys, I'll try it out and let u know if i need more help

For starters why remove linux?obviously two hard for you to use?Would it not be easier to remove (linux partion)change size of windows partion then use your windows boot disk to reenstall windows mbr therefore getting rid of offending boot program eg Grub.

reaper44,

dont worry, i have tried this method (RedHat 8.0 and grub boot loader) and once the linux partition is gone (before you get rid of the boot loader) you computer just sits at the boot loader whatever you do.

besides, the other method you changed to mine, was that you re-install windows, instead of using the repair console to repair the mbr. my way it takes less that 2 secs for each command and your way it could take hour or two to reinstall, even repair.

plus strange things happen. my network neighbourhood disappears and you cannot connect via modem. some progs dont run cause of registry damage and you will loose settings.

trust me, when it comes to cruch time you will be glad you had this lil tut.

--Robin Williams