Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I believe I've been HACKED! Need Help From Linux & Win XP Experts

Yea the hard ware are an option to check, but she is like telling us that the problem begans when she installed a new program, so the easyest for me is to look at this first.

xDrack

Call Dell!

i could not understand from your post if you said you have called dell yet but I had this same problem almost exactly on my fathers computer. It was caused by a Yapoo messanger nuke, and pretty much crippled the system.

The good news is I got with HP tech support and they said it was just a "windows error" that needed a patch file. I love how tech support guys refuse to say that someone on a messanger program trashed your box and there is next to nothing you can do about it. I think it would go a long way to making people understand just how dangrous it is in this computer jungle. Then again if everyone knew how bad it was they would Screem for changes and all the computer security people might be outta a job.

Anyway he mailed out a magic 3.5 floppy that restored windows to its old self. This was on a windows XP computer so your mileage may vary but Im pretty sure DELL can help you on this one. If you talk to the people at dell tech dont even mention that you have a second OS installed on your system because

1. It is none of there business
    2. It has nothing to do with the problem you are faceing right now.

Just tell them what you were doing before it happend and make it sound like you are a dumb computer user that feels nothing could ever go wrong with a DELL computer and they will be more then willing to help.
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.

The Recidivist
    I tried the same thing and ran into so many problems. In the long run I end up just fdisking everything and starting from scratch. O yea, I don't know if this will help you at all but I couldn't get lilo to work at all and had some trouble with grub and end up removing grub and making a boot disk for linux. Now everything works fine.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Call Dell!

Originally posted here by blunuke420
    i could not understand from your post if you said you have called dell yet but I had this same problem almost exactly on my fathers computer. It was caused by a Yapoo messanger nuke, and pretty much crippled the system.

The good news is I got with HP tech support and they said it was just a "windows error" that needed a patch file. I love how tech support guys refuse to say that someone on a messanger program trashed your box and there is next to nothing you can do about it. I think it would go a long way to making people understand just how dangrous it is in this computer jungle. Then again if everyone knew how bad it was they would Screem for changes and all the computer security people might be outta a job.

Anyway he mailed out a magic 3.5 floppy that restored windows to its old self. This was on a windows XP computer so your mileage may vary but Im pretty sure DELL can help you on this one. If you talk to the people at dell tech dont even mention that you have a second OS installed on your system because

1. It is none of there business
    2. It has nothing to do with the problem you are faceing right now.

Just tell them what you were doing before it happend and make it sound like you are a dumb computer user that feels nothing could ever go wrong with a DELL computer and they will be more then willing to help.

I think you could be right. I was in Yahoo chat before I logged off. However, I don't have Yahoo Messenger installed. I just reinstalled the Yahoo web cam & voice chat. I also have MSN Messeneger. So your HP tech support managed to help you out without knowing that you have 2 OS.

I am really scared that Dell will not be able to help.

I think I will never use Sysgate Home Firewall again because I thought of trying it for fun. In the past I used Zone Alarm & Mc Affee & have no problem even though there was so many attempt to scan or hack my PC.

Thanks.

It's more like a virus, I think.

mount?

If by some chance you choses FAT as your file system type when you formatted your HD i belive you can mount this partition in Linux and thus have acsess to all your files

Re: mount?

Originally posted here by yourname
    If by some chance you choses FAT as your file system type when you formatted your HD i belive you can mount this partition in Linux and thus have acsess to all your files
    Mine is NTFS & I used Partition Magic 8.0 to create a partition for Red Hat Linux. Now I find that Linux is boring. A lot of stuff cannot be done with Linux. However, I should be glad because I am still online. I think I need to get a new computer. I need to call Dell tomorrow. Hopefully they will not ask me to reformat.

If you know any site offering step by step solutions to my problem please let me know. I BEG YOU! I WILL POLISH YOUR SHOES IF U R IN FRONT OF ME.

Hey shakira,

HP and DELL know about these kinds of things. They don't advertise that they know this info, but all the same they know it. I would venture to say that DELL already knows that you have Linux installed on your computer through some 2 way system ID software that came preinstalled on your computer. This is why I am TOTALY aginst buying computers "out of the box" (from dell, compaq, HP...) but all the same it really does not matter in the end. Just Call them and tell the tech support guy about yahoo, and the message you get when you boot up and your problem will be solved. This is not an uncommon occurence with all the script toddlers running around yahoo and Dell knows this
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.

Hi shakira, i readed this thread a few days ago, so i'm asking you if you have done some thing with youre windows jet or still using the borring Linux as you say.

If you're still in Linux, i can hellp you so let me now if you still need help.

xDrack

Firstly, before you follow all the other suggestions, boot to linux and back up your important data from your windows partition. Secondly, if you believe that you have a virus on the windows partition, you may want to get an antivirus that works on linux, to check the windows' files, to clean or remove any possible virus. A boot diskette that removes the virus would work as well. If that doesn't work, your gonna have to REPAIR (NOT RESTORE) xp from a full version cd. Make sure you make a linux boot diskette before doing this, as repairing xp will overwrite the master boot record. Hope the suggestions help.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com