Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Email Trace

I first when to ARIN's web page and did a standard whois request off of there. I always start at ARIN because it will at least tell you what Registrar that space is assigned to (whereas the others in my experience don't). It then said the space was registered with RIPE (Reseaux IP Europeens) and issued a standard query based on the IP.

There are other things you can do to modify your query, but the reason I supplied what I did was that it provides who to contact in the ISP from which the email purports to have originated from. That is who your friend would have to contact to track it further (or police or your ISP, depending on how you want to do it...)

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Question Mailers

What about a mailer?

The Recidivist
    Just figured I'd put this link up. Its about reading e-mail headers. Explains pretty well.

www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Question Mailer

What I actually ment was an independent mailer program on the web, sorry I have no examples as they are illegal.

Re: Email Trace

Originally posted here by dontpanic
    Hello,

Question: I have a friend that received an email from an anonymous user and would like to know if it can be traced.

Is this possible and what does it involve?

Thanks,
    P.
    Look at the raw email, if you're using outlook express, right click on the email and click properties, then over to the 2nd tab.. If it was sent by a "anon email" application, you can find the ip of the person. IE

Recieved from: dumbho.st [1.2.3.4]

what is ARIN?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    ARIN is a database of domain names and their respective owners. More specifically, whois.arin.net.

Here is what the ARIN database has to say about AO:

[root@hax0r]#whois -h whois.arin.net www.antionline.com

Registrant:
    Jupitermedia Corporation (ANTIONLINE2-DOM)
    23 Old Kings Highway S.
    Darien, CT 06820
    US

Domain Name: ANTIONLINE.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Jupitermedia Corporation (ZFBKBPQRAO) hostmaster@internet.com
    23 Old Kings Highway S.
    Darien, CT 06820
    US
    203-662-2800

Record expires on 04-Sep-2005.
    Record created on 05-Sep-1997.
    Database last updated on 16-Jun-2004 06:28:46 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.INTERNET.COM 63.236.72.133
    NS3.INTERNET.COM 63.236.72.135

PS, if you look closely at this thread, it is over a year old. Blinking dates indicate that the thread is old and it is generally understood that no further posts will be made. Since you are new, I answered your question even though, technically, this thread is dead.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

lovebugz

When the dates are flashing on a thread that indicates that the thread is old. Try not to reopen threads that are this old 5-11-2003.

google is packed with a wealth of information and to access this bank of knowledge, type in www.google.com and the enter your question. Here's the very first link that turned up after entering Arin in the search engine.

http://www.arin.net/

It means: American Registry for Internet Numbers

cheers

edit: guess I'll just have to type faster theHorse
    Connection refused, try again later.

thankz u guys all

T3h Ch3F

Post Script

Lovebugs, Welcome to AO!

As an afterthought, a great, and often reccomended site for use of the Arin, who is, ect...

Try- www.samespade.org

It is a nice test drive, and a great Web Tool.

Good luck, have a great weekend!

Edit Kudos to Horse, and Rey for not flaming a thread ressurection.
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.