Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Home Network!!!

Exclamation Help With Home Network!!!

Ok i know this is a LAME question but i have searched netgears web page + yahoo and need help.

1) Can a netgear router be used to connect 2 computers togather in a network. (not just share a net connect but to use tcp/ip to play games such as counter strike and diablo 2

The two computers refuse to see each other in network hood.
    Computer two can ping computer 1 but 1 cannot ping computer 2 and is stopped at the router.. We both share the same workgroup and have all of our TCP/IP settings set to let the computer decide what to be assigned to where.

I need any help that can be given on this very newbish topic PLZ
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.

To help fully, It would help to know some more info...such as What OS's are you running on your computers? All the info you could give will help.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Here goes

computer 1winxp home (cannot ping computer 2,stopped at router)
    computer 2winxp Pro (can ping computer 1)
    What else do you need?
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.

check to see the ports you've plugged your computers in to... make sure that niether of them are in the uplink one, or if you can flick a switch or whatever to make one of the ports the uplink, that it's not set to uplink mode.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Router setup

Its a 4 port router with single uplink port which connects to the modem.

Comp one is in port 1 ip of xxx.xxx.x.3
    comp two is in port 3 IP of xxx.xxx.x.2

i'm not sure if this is the same with all routers, but check if it has a WAN port, and plug your modem in to there. that wouldn't be the problem with why you can't ping, but if there are any other problems, that might be it.

also, check if you're using all straight cables, rather than crossover.

it is really weird, though, that you can ping an ip, and it can't ping back... packets are sent to the destination, then the destination sends them back... so, by all logics, it should be able to ping the other machine if it can dish out a reply. try to ping 127.0.0.1 on each machine... maybe your NIC's messed up.
    i will shoot you so hard.

I completely agree this is fuggin WEIRD!

I was able to ping the address you gave from both puters...

It really makes me wonder why if 1 can ping the other cant, but is still able to respond to the PING.... WTF ARRRRRRGH

Go here, it's your routers Home Page. . . .check it out...

http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-b...t+Query&page=1

it's all about setting up gaming using your router

Hee hee, just checked out MS's soulution. . . they suggested renaming your XP home computer. . .
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

done all that already... my problem is with the computers pinging each other

It was the stupid windows firewall on the xp pro machine.....
    Thanx to everone who replied

heh, had about the same problem w/ a hub a while back.

Later,

Ndog