Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP Please!!! Instant Messengers Being Hacked

Angry HELP Please!!! Instant Messengers Being Hacked

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there's any way to prevent someone from hacking into my instant messenger programs. I use AIM and Odigo, and I am being harrassed by a hacker that can get into my IM when I am chatting with my girfriend and they type things and it looks like it's coming from me. I have repeatedly changed my password and that doesn't seem to help. I am running McAfee Personal Firewall. I am on a completely different computer from when the harassment first started. The harrassment started in AIM and got so frustrating that me and my girfriend downloaded Odigo and came up with new screen names and started using that. Things were fine for about 2 weeks, but now the hacker has once again found us in Odigo and is starting again. We can never tell when this person is in watching our chat until they type something offensive and it looks like it's coming from my name to my girlfriend or vice versa. Is there any way to prevent someone from entering our chat and harrassing us? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Hi,

Can't you just change your username and create a new account?

Do you have a static IP?

Bye,

DKRR

Snodog311

I would try using a virus checker with up to date definitions. It sounds like it could possibly be a Trojan of some description. Even though you are now using a different machine from when the attacks first started, you could be installing a suspect program that is putting the trojan right back on there. Always worth a try..
    All alone, No-one around, and all I can hear is that f*#!ed up sound!

thanks..

thanks for the replies...DaRK... we have created new names and accounts in Odigo and it worked for about a week but the hacker found us again, I can't keep doing that every week .... jessie... I am using McAfee VirusScan and it is updated and found nothing.... thanks anyway but I think this hacker is using different means to do this... it is sooooo frustrating!!!!!

SnoDog

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What OS are you using?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

first PC when problem started was Windows XP Pro current PC is Windows 2000 Pro

The Iceman Cometh
    Do you know who the hacker is? Also, has this "hacker" contacted you directly in any way? It sounds like it's probably someone you know in person that's just trying to harass you and/or your girlfriend.

Another question, does this hacker send messages through your account when you are talking to your girlfriend? Most chat clients won't allow more than one log on of the same screen name, which means that, if he is sending the messages through it, he's most likely doing so through some means other than through the chat client itself. It's possible that he has some sort of remote access to your system or your girlfriend's system, which allows him to send messages not through his own chat client, mimicking you, but rather through your own chat client, while you are talking.

AJ

In their initial state, Microsoft Windows operating systems (98, ME, XP, 2000, NT) allow anyone on the internet to pop up Windows on your screen. There is no need for them to know anything about your computer and your computer does not care who does it.

Even less savory individuals may pop up messages on your screen that try to fool you into taking actions that may not be in your best interest.

The important thing to remember is that anyone, anywhere in the world can pop up one of these messages on your computer. At this time it looks as though all these messages will have "Messenger Service" in the Window title. It would be wise to verify with support staff any such message that appears on your computer that instructs you to to take actions that may divulge sensitive information, change your password, leads you to a web site, or take other, unusual actions on your computer.

Also know that spam senders are using the Windows Message Service as another way to distribute their advertisements.

Disabling the Messenger Service
    To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a later time if you wish to do so.

Windows 2000
    Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools->Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Windows XP Home
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Click the STOP button.
    Click OK

Windows XP Professional
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Administrative Tools
    Click Services
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Click the STOP button.
    Click OK

Windows NT
    Click Start ->Control Panel
    Double Click Administrative Tools
    Select Services-> Double-click on Messenger
    In the Messenger Properties window, select Stop,
    Then choose Disable as the Startup Type
    Click OK

Windows 98 & ME
    Windows Messenger Service cannot be disabled

To my knowledge you must use a 3rd party program like these

Hope that helps

snodog311,

Personally, if you are using a good firewall it should block any incoming connections.
    You could try with a different firewall like ZoneAlarm and see what it tells you while chatting. This guys MUST be connected to your computer someway so your firewall SHOULD tell you about it.
    Moreover, I would look for strange direct or simple connections to your PC, using the telnet commands under a DOS window and see if you can find something weird there.

Good luck,

DKRR

hi thanks for the replies again... avdven... I think the hacker is someone who IMed me once on AIM and she (I know it's a female) got upset when I wouldn't chat with her. My girlfriend has told me that when we were using AIM, my name would be flashing in her buddy list window and that's when the hacker would be in there. In Odigo, we can't tell when she is there, but she sends IMs to my g/f and they come through with my screenname... I can't see what they hacker types in my window but I can see my g/f's replies to what the hacker says.... I have heard that there are programs out there that will allow a hacker to access a chat client and password crackers.. could this be how it is being done? If so, is there any way to stop it? Like I said, I am using a completely diffent computer from when this first started and haven't installed any programs on it so I don't understand how they could get into this computer too... thanks again for the info.. I just hope I can put a stop to this, it really sucks!!!! :-(