Licenses

Thread: Licenses

Licenses

I have a general question. I work for a bank - and we are upgrading our computers finally from Win98SE to WinXP. Our servers will be Win2k for now (and I don't want to start a debate about Win2003) - but as for purchasing licenses for the WinXP machines - where do we purchase them? About half of our machines are Dell's which come with the license on the box of course - but we want to make sure to be compliant.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Where'd you buy the XP software from? Quite often companies that sell the software also sell the licenses. There are also companies (like CDW I think) that specialize in selling software to corporations along with licenses.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/hubs/software/os.asp
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Contact Microsoft, I am sure they will find a way to suck more license money out of you.

But seriously, get a hold of M$, either via the phone or check their web site(s) I am sure the info. you need will be listed there somewhere.

Cheers:
    DjM

You can buy license packs (its a slip of paper no books or media) from most OEM's, contact a local computer shop and they can get it for you
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Sometimes when you work at a company, you just can't walk into Joe Bobs Computer store, and buy up a thousand license for your dells. Nor can you walk up to Mr.CEO and get cash. Sometimes you have to deal with purchase orders, ect, ect, and since you already have a working relationship with Dell, you can order your license through them, and since you are already a customer of theirs, they can give you a discount.

here's the contact info depending on what size your company is

Global Enterprise Business (over 18,000 total employees) 800-274-3355
    Medium & Large Business (200-18,000 total employees) 800-274-3355
    Small Business (fewer than 200 total employees) 800-274-3355
    Business Employee Purchase Program Service & Support 800-934-1652
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

When I worked at a small OEM/VAR we where very happy to get purchase orders, and we would also be very happy to deal with volume licenses. These are very easy to get as a OEM/VAR and I have found that dell is less happy to sell you licenses for machines they didn't sell you. Now if you have a significant amount of machines (running into the thousands) you may want to contact MS and sign up on their enterprise licensing scams
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Thanks, all of this sounds very useful. It looks like there are many options for finding and purchasing the required licensing.