Thread: windows and linux at the same time...

windows and linux at the same time...

i've heard of a piece of software that allows you to run Linux on top of Windows, instead of partitioning your hard drive... but can't think of the name of it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Well VMWare does it. It also does the other way around, and all sorts of other funky tricks

Not cheap, mind.

VirtualPC might also do the job.

My guess is you are talking about either Cygwin or VMWare.

Cygwin:
    The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools for Microsoft Windows. They run thanks to the Cygwin library which provides the UNIX system calls and environment these programs expect.

With these tools installed, it is possible to write Win32 console or GUI applications that make use of the standard Microsoft Win32 API and/or the Cygwin API. As a result, it is possible to easily port many significant Unix programs without the need for extensive changes to the source code. This includes configuring and building most of the available GNU software (including the packages included with the Cygwin development tools themselves). Even if the development tools are of little to no use to you, you may have interest in the many standard Unix utilities provided with the package. They can be used both from the bash shell (provided) or from the standard Windows command shell.
    Source: Cygwin FAQ
    VMWare:
    VMware Workstation is powerful virtual machine software for the desktop. Optimized for the power user, VMware Workstation runs multiple operating systems -- including Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Novell NetWare -- simultaneously on a single PC in fully networked, portable virtual machines. VMware Workstation provides more choice, greater flexibility, and more powerful functionality than any other virtual machine software in the marketplace today
    [I] Source: Desktop Products - VMWare Workstation 4 [/I.
    I have Cygwin on my system and use it quite frequently to compile *nix based programs for Win32. You have to remember that not all programs will compile, and even ones that will eventually compile will need a lot of work done, but if you just want to get a feel for the bash shell...and have some *nix usability then this will do the trick...

I also have VMWare installed. We use it extensively in my Operating System classes. You can run multiple copies of VMWare and at one time have Windows XP, Win 2K, Win NT and RedHat Linux running on a single PC. It is a great tool. If you are running Windows and then install *nix you can have nix establish a seperate network connection, so it appears to be it's own machine on the network.. It is very handy.
    [/QUOTE]

If you download a live eval CD of Linux or BSD (Net BSD has one on http://www.linuxiso.org ) you can run both OSs without partitioning or installing, you just boot from the CD and the way they compress everything you get like 2 GBs of data on one CD-R, also you can install phatLinux which will run on top of Windows, Also if youv ever heard of BeOS, you can run that on top of Windows, like you dont have to partition unless you want to, a BeOS icon will be on your Desktop and you double click it and iv tested and done this successfully in Windows 98 SE, Windows shuts down and BeOS loads, if you get errors and it wont boot BeOS, use the boot floppy and that usually solves the problem, im here usually at least once a day so if you want more help on this message me or reply. im sure me or one of the other members will be more than happy to help you out in your quest for Tux.

DigitalSyntax... just to clarify... PhatLinux does not run 'on top' of windows... it actually creates a folder on the windows partition which it uses to mount itself when you reboot the computer. It's been a few months since I tried Phatlinux but from what I remember it uses the folder in a similar manner to a normal linux swap partition (except of course it doesn't use the linux file system). Phat linux is ok if you want to try linux without the hassle of repartioning etc but you still have to reboot (with the CD in the tray) to use it and you still have to have something written to HD.

To be honest I'd actually recommend knoppix for evaluating linux as it doesn't install or write anything to HD - it just runs off the CD (like any other live eval edition of linux) - although if you decide you like linux you can install it to HD and effectively you end up with a variant of Debian on the box (I've decide that I quite like debian).

Z

{edit}

Ps Plastic you might also want to have a look at Winlinux or Topologilinux... depending on what version of windows you have - Winlinux ONLY runs on Win9x not NT,2K or XP, whereas the other one runs on XP as well. I've not tried either of these systems but theres a write up in one of the UK PC mags (PCPlus June 2003 ed if anyones interested) about running linux on top of windows - not sure if you'll be able to get hold of it though.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

thanks a ton... going to try out a few of them; I'm running redhat on an older machine at home... but i hate going back and forth between the two... so trying to get both working on my box

well i also agree with others that you must be talking abt VMware ... wel i use it and it is awesome...dint worked with cygwin...becoz VMware gives me live linux in windows than a port....also have a look at Knoppix u dont need to install it just boot from its CD .... excelent work .. thumbs up from me to Knoppix Team.....full KDE in just a few sec is before you as if you have installed it...