Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beat fingerprint scanner w/ gelatin..

hmm....so a PCB fingerprint will fool a fingerprint scanner??? Don't think so mate, as for the gelatine stuff....sure, bot you have a limited amount of time to make and use it, as well as the *other* problems you'r bound to fun into by grace of Murphies law, the fack that a fingerprint scanner is enough to stop just about every one cept the stupid, not that it can't be faked, but that *while* your faking and using it, your a sitting duck.. oh well

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

We had a presentation from Gartner on the use of Biometrics and other security technologies not too long ago. They presented their flashy "Technology Hype Cycle" with a focus on security. Here is an example:

http://watch.state.wi.us/Home/links/...pe%20Cycle.pdf

Here is one of their analyst's comments a bit on fingerprint readers:

http://security1.gartner.com/story.php.id.109.s.1.jsp

I also remember the Gartner presenters stating that humidty and room temperatures changes will affect the fingerprint readers effectiveness. That and any residual jelly on your fingers from jelly-filled doughnuts.
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

Originally posted here by ZomBieMann77
    Hey Plastic have you ever actualy tried this? I doubt it. And if you ever did you would get busted in no time flat. Time to wake up. Your not james bond and that stuff only works in the movies.
    Yes, I have tried it; in a controlled envirornment at UTSA and on my fingerprint scanner at home. As for illegal use of it, no I have not... nor do I plan to.

As allways my intervention is to change the focus of the thread. Because we are security consultants, we have to now that this things realy works, and many entusiastic boys can try into ower enterprices or even specialiced industrial spy or terrorist can use this method. So the thru point here is how to keep them out when they try to do some penetration with this method. The method expoused are good, also the point of temperature. lest find other ways to keep the good intention of the thread, and suges ways to make the perimetral security bether. I cann sugest a wheigt detector, to complete the finger print scanner with temperature mesurement capabilities.

xDrack

I'm a bit confused. I really don't understand how pulse can't be a factor in fingerprint scanning.

What if the guy just broke up with his girlfriend a few minutes before? Or he just asked a coworker out to dinner during the weekend. This would obviously result in a much faster pulse - does this mean he would be unable to access that restricted place/information?

[P.S. - XDrack, stop stealing my style, man - nice avatar.]
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Some fingerprint scanners have a device in them that measure pulse.. similar to the sensors on treadmills and excercise equipment. All it does is make sure there is a pulse, as a very basic precondition before even considering to allow access.