Alternate Data Stream - Hidden Files in NTFS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Data Stream - Hidden Files in NTFS

Alternate Data Stream - Hidden Files in NTFS

Hey Hey

I've been talking to phishphreek and brought this up.. Since neither of us had seen it on AO before and he'd never heard of it.. I figure I'll post it on here. It's older news now... Can't remember the exact place i found it originally but it was prolly an issue of phrack... If this has been posted before I apologize, but neither of us were able to find it on here...

Anyways It's a paper entitled The Darker Side of NTFS and it deals with the Alternate Data Stream which MS added to allow for communication with HFS (The MAC File System).

To give you a brief summary:

Using a few varying techniques, hide a file by attaching it to another file. This hidden file will not be seen by doing a directory listing in the command prompt, or in explorer. The file can only be found using third party software (a link is in the attached article). This file can be executed while it is hidden and will show up in taskmanager as the file it is attached to. So if I were to hide virus.exe in explorer.exe and then run the hidden virus.exe your task manager would simply show a second copy of explorer.exe running. This is obviously a very big risk.

Anyways here's the complete article. The Darker Side of NTFS

So what exactly are the ways of detection?

As far as I know.. LADS is the only current app available for detection (mentioned in the article). It is available for download here.

Ahh.. that's quite intriguing. Nice source, thanks!

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    As far as I know.. LADS is the only current app available for detection (mentioned in the article). It is available for download here.

I am aware of TDS-3 from DiamondCS at http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

It checks for ADS in NTFS files as well as a superb Trojan scanner.

Thanks for the update adm77..

It looks like a great program.. however they do want money for it... lads is a console based app and is freeware. So it gives admin's a bit of an advantage, they don't have to pay for it and they can easily add it to scripts.

However TDS-3 looks great and definately has a lot of great features.. I'll have to try it out at some point.

Now I'm intrigued.... I'll be checking out LADS

Thank you HTRegz !

I believe SFind from Foundstone also "detects" hidden file streams http://www.foundstone.com/resources/...ic-toolkit.htm

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

To the person left the AP "When in doubt, use AFS".. it was a grey dot.. I don't really care which it was supposed to be.. but I wanted to address that comment.

Windows machines run NTFS or FAT32, MACs use HFS (not really sure if there's another FS they can use)... I'd love to see you get the Windows OS to run on AFS... The Andrew File System is a network file system which is fine if you just want a bunch of stored files... you can view them as network drives in Win32... however if you just want to network your MAC and your PC.. then this wouldn't be an option... and if you were using NTFS for the ADS support.. then you'd leave yourself open the ADS vulnerability.

Just Another Geek
    You don't have to use filesharing with a mac. ADS are part of NTFS (4 and 5). So if you use NTFS (like any good sysadmin should) you are vulnerable to abuse by ADS. Even if your box is just a stand-alone machine.

What I find quite anoying about all of this is there is no way to turn this 'feature' on or off
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.