Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KISMET Scanner

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

KISMET Scanner

Has anyone had any success with the KISMET scanner for Linux? If so, can you please tell me waht version of RH and which wireless card you used.

I currently have an old IBM stinkpad that I threw RH7.1 on (the poor beast can't seem to handle the shiney new RH9 very well )
    I compiled the kernel with WIFI support and then got the latest card services update from source forge.
    I grabbed the latest drivers for my pcmcia card and installed them

After several attempts and countless config tweaks, I can't seem to get this to work with my hardware/OS.

Any info will be surely appreciated.

Thanks!

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

thehorse13 , sorry I can't help u on this one.

I noticed that tool into the 75 top list of Fyodor, & it looks like very useful!
    What I mean is when u'll achieve to run it; pls give us feedback!

thanx
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Greets!

I have only used it on War Linux . It's pretty nifty although I imagine there would be some advantages to running it from a hard disk versus the bootable CD.

I have had no problems running it using a Linksys Instant Wireless ver 3 card. That probably doesn't help you much, of course...sorry.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Networker,

Yeah, as soon as I *do* get it to work I will be able to write a serious tutorial as I have gone down a number of different paths trying to get this thing running - LOL.

T2 - Yeah buddy, all I have access to is Cisco Aironet cards which I know do not support channel hopping with this program and of course I have an Orinoco gold card which to date has only been flakey at best.

Thanks for the responses.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I've been using Kismet since it's first release. It rocks....i've run it on RH 7.0 and up to RH 8.0 so far. I have not gone to RH 9, since I've been hearing of 9 breaking some applications and being dificult to install some apps. I use a Cisco 350 wireless card. RH 8 supports the Cisco card without having to do any changes. RH7.X had to tweak and copy aironet drivers around to get it to work with the Cisco card. kismet also supports gpsmap, which allows you to plot your war driving onto a map, as long as you have a gps device to hook up to your laptop.

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Networker,

Yeah, as soon as I *do* get it to work I will be able to write a serious tutorial as I have gone down a number of different paths trying to get this thing running - LOL.

T2 - Yeah buddy, all I have access to is Cisco Aironet cards which I know do not support channel hopping with this program and of course I have an Orinoco gold card which to date has only been flakey at best.

Thanks for the responses.
    The cisco card already does a sort of "hopping". once you put it in kismet_monitor mode, then the cisco card will listen on all channels. you don't have to run kismet_hopper to do that. If you are using the prism2 or orinoco cards then you have to run kismet_hopper in order to get it to span all channels. The cisco card works fine in my setup. I've used both cisco and prism2 chipsets in my laptop without any problems.

By the way here is a link to kismet wireless www.kismetwireless.net

For my card, I think I had to run the command "prism2_monitor" to get kismet to pick up. Hey, has anyone heard of using Kismet in a Wireless IDS capacity? If so, I am curious as to how you setup the configuration.

t2k2

Smile

AHA!!! Got it.

OK, so the root cause of my issue was between the keyboard and the seat

I didn't have wifi support compiled in my kernel. ACK!!!

Well looks like I'm in business now. Thanks everyone!

We use old laptops with kismet and a lan nic to detect rougue AP's on our networks. The new version of kismet supports kismet_server, which is the central kismet app interface, and kismet_drone, with sends all data back to the kismet server. This way you have a central kismet server with drones collecting and forwarding info back to the server.

Would you happen to have any links to more information on this d0ppel? If so, that would be great!

Smile

check out kismet's website www.kismetwireless.net Basically we have a LAN nic, to access the system (SSH in), and then the wireless NIC is in prom. mode. You can use kismet_client to connect to a kismet_server. The forums on kismet's website are great. They answer a lot of questions.