Thread: Contreversy book: "XBOX hacking"

Contreversy book: "XBOX hacking"

Seems that book reveals the edge of the law.
    I thought that this site (legal one) could interest AO curiosity.
    http://hackingthexbox.com/
    Personnaly I discovered what hardware hacking is.

Here is an article from the register on the subject too:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/30627.html

For example the "Matrix" chip installs solderlessly over a test port manufacturers left on the Xbox motherboard. "You don't leave these test structures on the motherboard, if you want it secure," says Huang.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Do you any websites where I can find the hardware/software to put linux on my xbox? Or point me in the right direction, thanks.

Lightbulb XBOX

The chip 'Matix' is over a test port, what does it do?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    There is an article on SecurityFocus about this book as well:

With chapters on "Soldering Techniques" and "Installing a Blue LED," Huang's how-to may not seem an obvious candidate for joining Huckleberry Finn and Harry Potter on history's sad list of once-banned books. But Microsoft, the maker of the Xbox, has taken a dim view of home modifications of the game console, focusing its litigious ire in particular on "mod chips" that allow Xbox owners to run software that Microsoft hasn't approved and licensed. With a mod chip installed, users can run everything from virtual juke boxes to the Linux operating system on the game platform -- as well as pirated copies of Xbox games.
    Full Article

I wonder what the profit margin is per book when you publish it on your own?

Do you think Microsoft will unleash the mighty DMCA to shut him down?

I liked it better when you actually owned the stuff you bought.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I liked it better when you actually owned the stuff you bought.
    No kidding. Again- DMCA or no DMCA, what gives computer hardware / software vendors the right to go after things like this?

If I buy a Ford Focus and decide to attach a snow plow to the front and write a book on how to convert your Ford Focus into a snow plow- its none of Ford's damn business. Its a dumb idea that would never sell, but thats beside the point.

Once I buy an Xbox- its mine. If I want to use it solely as a DVD player to watch movies- thats my business. If I want to play Xbox games 24/7- thats my business. If I want to use it as a small table to hold my popcorn while I watch movies on my real DVD player- thats my business. If I choose to dismantle the whole thing and rewire it to pick up CB radio communications- that too should be my business.

Companies should have more important- or at least better- things to do than trying to dictate how consumers use the products they already sold.

tonybradley: well said.

I'm just waiting for the lunch box companies to start suing people for turning it into a computer... or bic to sue for turning a ballpoint pen into a coil gun...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

tonybradley,
    Do you have white papers or a link on how to turn the box to a popcorn table ?
    I did not do it.

If writing a book on x-box mods can get you sued i'd imagine a project like this would be enough to classify you as a terrorist. http://www.junkmachine.com/nintendo/...tutorial.shtml
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.