Preventing Attack on Site

Thread: Preventing Attack on Site

Banned

Preventing Attack on Site

well last time i posted, i think people took offence to that, i just guess my wording was wrong, so i hope this time its better. The problem is that there have been many web site attacks and hackings over the past couple months now in the anime community (I doubt many of you actually like anime, but please hear me out). Most of the attacks seem to come from a group called the "Dark Orchid Org". At first, they seemed to be nothing but scriptkiddies, but they've actually proven they could hack into sites, and its really annoying. If you want more info on that, go to http://the-cnews.com/members/newscom...2192676,58730, Anyway, what i wanted to know is what kind of programs they seem to be using (i dont think they're using brute forcers, they say they find holes in the security and exploit them) and how to prevent against those kind of attacks. Thank You

Are you able to narrow it down abit and tell us how they got in? As what you are asking will require a whole book to expain in full detail

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

It would also be helpfull to know what your site is running on, my guess is scriptkiddie exploiteing known holes in an unpatched unfirewalled system.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Banned
    well, i'm running on a unix server, and i think most of the sites hacked were on unix too. which is pretty much all i know about it. Basically, i dont know too much, but they "claim" that they've found holes in firewalls and exploited them.

Ok, so exactly what site got hacked?
    Do they serv static html content or dynamic (php & database & etc), to they serv more than just http?
    How exactly was it "hacked"; ie: what did they temper with (what was changed?)
    What kind of security is/was implemented at the time of the attack?
    What unix is it running?

Without that kind of info it's anybody's guess as to how they could have done it...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

all firewalls have holes in them, other wise they would block everything. At a guess they proberly manged to ftp access via port 21
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"