Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Value of certification

That is good to hear. I am pretty well rounded. I was a contractor for a few years and had the chance to learn many skills quickly while on the job. As I said I have done amlost everything you can imagine in the technical field outside of programming.

I guess I really just need to work on my resume to get my skillset accross in a more obvious manner. Being in Denver right now, the market is tougher than what I am used to in Tampa. I am going to have to work on networking a bit as well to make up for my lack of "Get in the door" credentials like certifications.

You have all been a great help and I think you have set me in the right direction (since I was deffinately on the wrong one when I started this post).

Thanks to all of you!!

Snow

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Tiger,

Suuuuuuuuuure, I understand. Really - I do.

Hey if you *really* want to weed out the slackers, ask them:

In relation to IRQs, why are SCSI devices faster?

LOL
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

The Iceman Cometh
    I know this is kinda late, but I thought you might be interested in the following article:

Certifications are Worth It by Linda Musthaler

Every year, Certification Magazine conducts a survey to determine the effect of technical certifications on an IT professional's salary and career. During the economic boom, certified professionals could boast of huge salary gains that were higher than their noncertified colleagues. Salary disparities between the "haves" and "have nots" often reached 20% and more. It was easy to say, then, that attaining a technical certification was worth the time, cost and effort.

But what about today? The economy has soured, IT spending has slowed to a crawl, and many IT professionals have experienced or witnessed massive layoffs. Those who have been laid off are having trouble finding jobs. Is there still any value in getting a technical certification?
    It was published in a recent issue of Network World and the whole article can be found online here

AJ

Edit: Type in link address

I'm just about to take a course in webdesign, which will give me the chance to get 4 cert

adobe photoshop 7
    macromedia dreamweaver mx
    macromedia flash mx designer
    macromedia flash mx developer

although I work as a System Administrator on a windows 2000 network, I'm trying to expand to webdesign also, because it's something that I like and can give a few extra bucks at the end of the month.

Ther is also a course pack that I'm thinking of getting next that gives you MCSA + MSCE + MCDBA.

to specialize in a field or study is better or to be a master in every field