Thread: IPSec and Win2k

IPSec and Win2k

I found this rather usefull art. about IPSec and hope this will help someone!

Introduction

Everyone wants their server to be as secure as possible, but there are many different approaches that can be taken to accomplish this ends. Now Microsoft didn't invent IP Security (or IPSec for short), it was developed by them in conjunction with Cisco and the IETF, but Windows 2000 has a very robust implementation of it built in. The intent of IPSec is to help in creating secure connections between different machines, even when the software that's communicating has no knowledge of the encryption. IPSec can also be used to apply rules as to what kind of IP traffic a machine will accept, akin to a limited firewall - that part of IPSec is what this article deals with. I'm going to assume that if you're reading this, you already have Win2k installed and know how to get to the IPSec administration portion - if you don't, please check the additional resources section.

This came from

http://www.analogx.com/contents/articles/ipsec.htm

Play with IPSec to learn how it works.........Good-luck
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Nice resource. I've always wanted to go into more depth with IPSec. This should help!
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

It's a starnge paper: Using IPsec as a firewall!

I'm not really sure that's a very good solution since it's a stateless model.
    That function in the IPsec standard aims only to separate user communities within a isolated and secured domain in order to reduce the "inside" attack threat.

IPsec is the state of the art to protect against MIM attacks, but has not been designed for internal risk. I'll advise to be very careful using it only as a frw.
    The real benefit of using IPsec is the built-in function of anti-replay and encryption.

If smbuddies r interested in a brief tut about what IPsec is all about, tell me & I'll write smth!
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Thumbs up

If smbuddies r interested in a brief tut about what IPsec is all about, tell me & I'll write smth! [/B][/QUOTE]

Why not?Good idea!
    cheers and good bye

ya that'll be a good tut, i would like to know more.

Originally posted here by t2k2
    Nice resource. I've always wanted to go into more depth with IPSec. This should help!

Another nice resource about IPSec and NAT can be found at

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_tre.../firewall.html

And Networker s tut at

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243795
    cheers and good bye