Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AP System Suggestion

AP System Suggestion

Yea, this post was supposed to go onto the end of this: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=1

but the thread was closed, so just piece it all together

ok, so we could setup a system for war games and earn AP's by that. but what about the poor saps that come here to learn and dont know how to break honeypots etc.

ok, fair enough, it might be a good idea, but you would still have to have the same AP system aswell as your wargames theory. otherwise, if it was just a wargames, this site would become ever more of a place where people only use to get good Ap's.... even though this site is now, without other people keeping everyone else in check it would really be pointless... you may as well change the site domain to 'ap-o-rama'

as a further note. perhaps (15 - 20) member at AO, could be like an AP moderator. for example, someone might neg a person for trivial BS and thats how people get upset and flames start happening. however, instead of that AP assignment going directly to the person, it could go to an 'AP Mod' and screened to see if its worthy. this will prevent flame wars and alliances. and that would make everyone alot happier...

any volentiers? i know i would be...
    Ah, yes, divorce......., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man\'s genitals through his wallet.

--Robin Williams

instead of that AP assignment going directly to the person, it could go to an 'AP Mod' and screened to see if its worthy. this will prevent flame wars and alliances. and that would make everyone alot happier...
    Now thats sounds like a darn good idea. to that.

Banned
    I don't think you have any idea of the amount of antipoint assignments that fly around here daily... You'd need 1,500 people to check them all... I'm still in favor of the 'report this antipoint assignment to a moderator', though...

just because there are so many in one day, doesnt mean that it has to arrive the same day it was sent. it could even be delayed a week or so... then if the work really get piled up, someone could shutdown the AP system for a little while until its cleared...

like most ideas its a working process

[edit] even limite the amount of assignments a person has per day? [/edit]
    Ah, yes, divorce......., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man\'s genitals through his wallet.

--Robin Williams

I don't think it would be appropriate to have site members as antipoint moderators simply because of the conflict of interest. Obviously something you thought about:

any volentiers? i know i would be...
    I just don't see it working: those members would cease to be negged since they can see all the information about the assignments, and they would wield (IMO) too much power over the running of the site. Considering the importance some people currently place on antipoints.

And on Negative's 'report assignment to an antipoint moderator' idea: a hell of a lot of people would do that for every negative antipoint they got, reasonable or not, and I imagine they'd get swamped under just as quickly. And if you had 15-20 moderators, there would be some big differences in opinion on what is appropriate and what is not as far as antipoint assignments are concerned. As people have stated in the past, one of the sole benefits of the antipoint system is the minimal amount of spam on this board. If ap's for spamming posts had to wait in a queue before taking effect, then this benefit would be greatly reduced.

You could always get rid of antipoints and select a whole lot of new moderators, like every other board on the Internet.

powertoad, everyone in individual, i mean. no matter what it is, you will always have people with different ideas.

thats why some posts get negged and greened by different people. it would be the same principal for this ap moderator.

maybe there should be a board from jupman who can screen particular applicants.

but with the security vs power thing, maybe the ap mods dont need to see any information (ie, who its from and who its going to but just the message itself, whether its green or red. and the post it came from./

--You know, im not a complete idiot...some pieces are missing--

--Robin Williams

powertoad, everyone in individual, i mean. no matter what it is, you will always have people with different ideas.
    Newsflash What I mean, is that if you have antipoint moderators with wildly different ideas about what is appropriate and what is not, then you'll likely have to deal with complaints about how someone was treated more lightly than you because a different moderator screened their ap's. In the past it was JP who looked at the assignments, 1 person = no-one complaining about unfair treatment.

but with the security vs power thing, maybe the ap mods dont need to see any information (ie, who its from and who its going to but just the message itself, whether its green or red. and the post it came from.
    That makes far more sense as far as what the moderator can see, but you would still be swamped under very quickly and I feel a large queue would build up almost immediately.

powertoad,

i can understand where you are comming from.

if you have antipoint moderators with wildly different ideas about what is appropriate and what is not
    that is why we would need a screening process for the applicants. the mods shoudnt have control over how much damage each assignment does, just whether it should go through or not. and if someone goes lightly or too heavy, the tuff, because its not like its going to go throuh the same person all the time, it would be spread out over many people who have different ideas.

besides, would you rather it be treated differently and not gone through if it was a ned, then a greenie, or would you rather then to all go through.

as i have learnt from human nature, i could almost guarantee that the majority of negs (the unjust ones) will not go through and the majority or greens, however unjust, will probably go through.

In the past it was JP who looked at the assignments, 1 person = no-one complaining about unfair treatment.
    you cant tell me that JP moderated ALL assignments, and we may not have to monitor all assignments either. hmmm... maybe there is a way to define the intesity of an assignment, and only those can be moderated. you never hear complaints about a neg that took off a couple of points, you only hear about that ones that do real damage.

is there any way to screen those against little ones?

--Robin Williams

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by Element_Epsilon
    that is why we would need a screening process for the applicants.
    [QUOTE]

Even if we have a screening process.. who are you going to get to do it? There are many reasons why this isn't completely feasible but the biggest one is definately the lack of man power. I haven't been around a long time, but I can tell ya that no one will allow new-comers like you to be AP mods, no one knows who you are and no one trusts you. Most of the senior members and the few addicts that would be good for the job are just too busy. They have full time jobs (and we all know that computers-related professions don't fall with-in the standard 40 hrs/week category) and the rest are students (students don't have time for anything....). So regardless... if it's a good idea or not... it would never fly. You are basically setting up a small claims court system.... and anyone who's been in the real world knows how backed up those can be.

no one knows who you are and no one trusts you
    sorry, but sometimes i forget what site this is and i forget that i changed my nick. if you look at my signature and follow those links. you will indeed find that i was, and in spirit still am Trust_Not_123 who is a respected senior member at AO.

[edit] see these posts:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243281

and

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243295

[/edit]

--Robin Williams